Turning Red

Turning Red.
Have to laugh at the Evangelicals pretending to freak out that the latest Pixar movie is about a kid rebelling against her mother, and how horrifying that is.
The mother runs a Taoist/Chinese folk religion temple. I’m sure they’d be horrified if the daughter started hanging out with a bunch of Evangelical kids at school, kept going out to church youth groups, kept a Bible under her bed, and wanted to go to a revival to accept Jesus as her Lord and Saviour. Talk about disrespecting her parents! Think about all those awful missionaries teaching people to turn against their father and mother!

For I have come to turn
a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
A man’s enemies will be the members of is own household.
Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Matthew 10: 35-37

1 Like

I haven’t seen it, but I’m scratching my head about it taking place in the pop-culturally generic, relatively recent year of 2002. What events mark that year? Everyone wearing an American flag pin on their suit lapel, and listening to the Strokes on their new iPod?

The movie takes place in Toronto so I reckon it won’t feature that.

Director’s preteen years.

2 Likes

Damn, I was already in uni. Now I feel like a loser knowing someone who was still in middle school at the time is already directing Pixar films. Gotta up my game!

2 Likes