TV Commercial Going Rate for Foreigner?

Any idea on a standard going rate for a TV commercial for a foreign talent. (I use the word ‘talent’ loosely)

A director has seen me and wants to cast me for a 30 second commercial. I live in the south if that matters. I have experience behind the camera, but for non-commercial purposes or extremely small parts. I have no desire to do this as a career, and the ‘Wow, Mom! I’m on TV’ feelings for doing a commercial are far behind me. So basically, I’m doing it for the cash. :sunglasses:

What have you been paid? Anyone doing this for living?

oZzo

[quote=“ozzo”]

What have you been paid? Anyone doing this for living?

oZzo[/quote]

At what they usually pay, one would be hard pressed to refer to it as “a living”.
I would be surprised if they offered you more than 2K for the day.
And if you’re in most of the 30 sec, that day is likely to be anywhere up to 18 to 19 hours.
There’s no union here, and crews get a day rate with no overtime, so they’l just go and go and go.

If you’re speaking and have the main role, you should be getting anywhere from 15 to 30k.
If you’re not speaking, or are just background, ask for 1000 for every hour that you’re there. They’ll try to pin you down for a flat rate, but because these things drag on forever sometimes, ask for an hourly one.

I got offered 35 K for an ad (for Family Mart commercial with the children) and for some stupid movie with foreigners to be filmed in Kaohsiung (for a 2-3 sentence dialogue), twas 3000K/ day, for 3 days, with train and hotel included.

So I guess it depends on how big the advertisement company is or how cheaply they can get away with.

I think all foreigners are eventually hit up by an agency to give number and email because they have many many clients that will pay well. If it works out well, I agree that a 30,000 fee for a feature presentation is not out of line. I often wonder how much the “Western Girl” was paid for the “Bedding World” commercial of a couple years ago. She showed her naked ass for many seconds. Was this worth her 30,000 NT, if that much. “Look mom”, “I’m on TV!”
I have appeared on a couple commercials in the U.S. and one here. I had just arrived and was hit up to do some appearances. I interviewd several times without pay and spent some days off waiting for a couple of yoyo’s to say yay or nay. Add the hours with lost opportunity and your upside down on the finances.

A few years ago there was quite a bit of work to be had in advertising and I worked on a number of ads.

This usually involved crowd scenes as an extra. One Lexus ad shot in Linkou involved 90 foreigners.

Pay usually ranges from @ 1000 per hour. But the minimum for a shoot is usually 3,000. Can take from 1 hour to 6 hours. Negotiate.

BEWARE of ‘Agents’ who will waste your time taking videos and photos when they have NO clients and are merely building a future portfolio of ‘talent.’
Even students do this in Taipei. Problem is you do not know. Most auditions are a complete waste of time.
Wait for the actual job advert.

could be anywhere from 500NT (cab fare) to 30K (what foreigners who have been doing commercials for years get).

trouble is too many English teachers have whored themselves out for a little airtime and now the TV people know they can get an ‘actor’ for around 2K to 5K.

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. I got similar replies from some friends who have done work; all around the rates you posted: from about 30,000 to little to nothing.

Info for anyone else in the same situation:

Turns out my wife has a friend who’s buddy is a director in Taipei. This director said the going rate is $8000 - $10,000 per day. Not sure if that’s his going rate or his opinion of the industry going rate. And that was for the leading role. The commercial I’m doing (got the part) will be 2 - 3 days, so I think that’s about right in line with what everone’s been saying. We told them 10k/day and they agreed.

And I agree about the “whoring themselves out”. Although part of that may be due to naievity. I could imagine my first month here and a director asking me to be in a commercial for a couple grand. I would have jumped on it, no doubt. Especially if they filled my head full of a bunch of garbage like, “All the girls will remember you and love you.” “You’ll be famous in Taiwan!” etc…etc… L

If really little talent is needed, I guess the director’s are smart in that respect…

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]could be anywhere from 500NT (cab fare) to 30K (what foreigners who have been doing commercials for years get).

trouble is too many English teachers have whored themselves out for a little airtime and now the TV people know they can get an ‘actor’ for around 2K to 5K.[/quote]

Plus locals, especially those hoping to break into the biz, will pretty much work for a bientang…