TV News outside my window

The TV news trucks have descended upon the fair town of Ying Ge, to report on the possibly illegal activities of the Mayor of YinGe, a sleepy town of 80,000 souls, nestled between San Xia and Toayuan.

Apparently, the Mayor decided last year to begin tiling all the grey yucky walls in and about YingGe within colorful tiles, and using black and white stones for creative artistic representations of ceramic pots, animals and other various local landmarky type things. This story was first reported on Forumosa.com by poster jdsmith, who mentioned it several times in passing.

The problem started when someone fired off a rare synaptic charge and the thought occurred, “Who is making all these tiles?” News reporters have discovered that the tiles are being made by the Mayor’s wife’s family, and this has led to big stink, because questions abound:

Was there a process for selecting the Mayor’s wife’s fmaily, or did he just say, “Hey, you guys want to make a shitload of money?” Were other bidders invited? (HA!)

Suspicion apparently was aroused as even abandoned houses, this reporter kids you not, and the parking lot where this reporter parks his fashionable Ford Tierra, and the walls of the old ugly building next to the parking lot were tiled in a stylish pattern.

This has been jdsmith, reporting, in YingGe.
Back you Jim.

shocker … no, really.

:wink:

[quote=“xtrain_01”]shocker … no, really.

:wink:[/quote]

It IS! Just watch the news. If they show a crappy little noodle place with brand new tiles, our school is right behind the cameraman. You have to imagine it though. :slight_smile:

What - you mean the suggestion that there was something close to investigative journalism going on here? I was shocked too … until I realised that it was almost certainly a bitter political opponent of the mayor that prodded the reporters into action rather than a journalist showing some initiative :slight_smile:

What - you mean the suggestion that there was something close to investigative journalism going on here? I was shocked too … until I realised that it was almost certainly a bitter political opponent of the mayor that prodded the reporters into action rather than a journalist showing some initiative :slight_smile:[/quote]

ohhh, cool. Do you have a link to an English write up?

[quote=“jdsmith”]
ohhh, cool. Do you have a link to an English write up?[/quote]
Sorry - you misunderstand me. Pure guesswork on my part … which is more likely: a journalist showing initiative, or a politician seeing a way to screw his opponent?

[quote=“david”][quote=“jdsmith”]
ohhh, cool. Do you have a link to an English write up?[/quote]
Sorry - you misunderstand me. Pure guesswork on my part … which is more likely: a journalist showing initiative, or a politician seeing a way to screw his opponent?[/quote]

Geez, isn’t one guy talking out of his ass enough?? lol :wink:

DOH Makes ya gringe doesn’t it? Happens all too often.

Isn’t that the motto for Forumosa?

The real question is … is the mayor KMT or DPP?
And now they are going to find out what was a public secret … he’s a drunk too … and a woma(e)nizer … and big spender. :noway:

But meanwhile he put Ingge back on the map … :laughing:

Isn’t that the motto for Forumosa?[/quote]

I spewed on my screen, thanks david :laughing:

[quote=“belgian pie”]The real question is … is the mayor KMT or DPP?
And now they are going to find out what was a public secret … he’s a drunk too … and a woma(e)nizer … and big spender. :noway:

But meanwhile he put Ingge back on the map :laughing:[/quote]

That’s what the wife and I were saying. The work he’s had done looks great.

I hope you did make a banner of your school to show in the background … did you? :slight_smile:

The upshot of it all will be that either the Mayor or his clandestine opponent “doesn’t love Taiwan enough” !

Great story.

Now. What about the one where the head of the Environmental Protection Bureau’s son/wife/uncle owns a huge paper mill/printing factory and that is why our letterboxes are all clogged up with junk mail?

TV news just reported the story. Did you see our school’s entrance door? lol

The mayor apparently spent 3,000,000,000,000 NT to do a job that should have taken 5,000,000,000NT.

Now, I put in a disclaimer: my wife and I always fight over numbers. She will say something like “He spent 30 hundred billion dollars in SOGO.”

But she stands by these numbers. Holy batcrap! That’s a LOT of money!

But HEY! Come to YingGE. You won’t have to see ugly dilapidated buildings anymore. They’ve all been tiled. :slight_smile:

And on the English news with Jeffery Mindish, he says the mayor of Yingge got 100,000,000NT in kickbacks for the work. yoinks!