TW woman indicted for forcing Muslims to eat pork, etc

And like the problem of drivers intimidating Singaporeans on the crossings of Taipei, none of this is a problem until the media overseas picks up on it.

Hell, if ‘conduct that harms the nation’s image’ were a crime, the whole legislature should be behind bars.

you mean forcing kids to learn Mandarin Chinese?[/quote]

You surely know what I’m saying don’t you?

So let me get this right, God reckons eating pork is bad and so this woman must be ridiculed and prosecuted?

Well how about if my “God” reckons that my child should have to be taught nothing but English in kindergarten? Can I get a free pass? Can I get the entire Taiwan education department fired? Or do I have to have at least a few thousand disillusional members in my cult before it is accepted as being a legitimate religion? Shit! If science isn’t good enough already then I reckon we should all go religious! :laughing:

This stuff sounds too good to be true… I’m just thinking of the potential here… :discodance: I’m a new born God lover baby!

No, I believe the argument is ‘This woman exploited a position of power to coerce those for whom she was responsible to act against their will, so she should be prosecuted’. The debate then becomes ‘Do Indonesians really have rights?’, or ‘Is it wrong for Taiwanese to coerce the lesser Asians?’. Carry on.

No, I believe the argument is ‘This woman exploited a position of power to coerce those for whom she was responsible to act against their will, so she should be prosecuted’. The debate then becomes ‘Do Indonesians really have rights?’, or ‘Is it wrong for Taiwanese to coerce the lesser Asians?’. Carry on.[/quote]

Oh :blush: I was jumping in head first on that one.
So she says she didn’t force them to eat it and they say she did. So they know she was feeding them pork for all that time? She must have admitted it to them or otherwise they knowingly ate it all that time.
So this is more like the forced immunization policy then and not the forced education policy I was referring to.

Let’s summarize the events:

1. Woman in question lies in official paperwork. Instead of hiring a fellow Taiwanese, she lies in her applications, bribes whoever briablable and forges the unforgeable to get herself 3 -maybe more- Indonesisan workers.

2. Such Indonesian workers are trained at home to take acre of teh elderly. They are told they will be doing a specific task -bathing, feeding, rolling around in a wheelchair- to benefit someone who is incapable of doing so him/herself, someone who really needs them. Instead, they are bused to a factory, set in a iron corrugated pen, locked indoors, their passports taken away. They know that this is illegal, but they have no access to phones or anything. Plus, and this is the kicker, the system that brought them here leaves them in debt so for the first year they see not a penny, and they have hungry mouths to feed at home. So they just clench their teeth, and try to do their best to lear quickly to operate dangerous machinery before they get killed/maimed or worse.

3. Aside from not having the freedom to move about, they only have the mess room at the factory as the source of substenance. In spite of their beliefs, they must eat what is set before them, like cattle. When they ask if they could have vegetarian or at least no pork, they are actually threatened to have money taken away, adding to their already several thousand US dollars debt. They swallow in spite of their conscience, and one more dehumanizing cherry is added to this already fetid sundae.

This is as far as we know. Heaven knows what else they had to put through.

Essentially this is slavery. Where is Abe Lincoln when you need him?

She should be sent to Indonesia to serve her term :slight_smile:

[quote=“Icon”]Let’s summarize the events:

1. Woman in question lies in official paperwork. Instead of hiring a fellow Taiwanese, she lies in her applications, bribes whoever briablable and forges the unforgeable to get herself 3 -maybe more- Indonesisan workers. [/quote]

I know plenty of foreign workers, myself included who have lied on official papers to dodge one thing or another.

I didn’t know this woman was guilty of these things?! All foreign workers I presently know (which is only half a dozen , I admit) have access to telephones. Surely they would report their Taiwanese employers as soon as their contracts expire then yes? Why aren’t more employers caught and imprisoned for human trafficking then? Protectionism? I know for sure that many foreign workers are not under any false impressions as to the real reasons they come over here. Its a fact that there are only limited rolls which a foreign worker can apply to fulfil. We all know that. I’m not saying that because of this then none of their complaints are justified however.

[quote=“Icon”]3. Aside from not having the freedom to move about, they only have the mess room at the factory as the source of substenance. In spite of their beliefs, they must eat what is set before them, like cattle. When they ask if they could have vegetarian or at least no pork, they are actually threatened to have money taken away, adding to their already several thousand US dollars debt. They swallow in spite of their conscience, and one more dehumanizing cherry is added to this already fetid sundae.

This is as far as we know. Heaven knows what else they had to put through.[/quote]

Have these facts of the case all been substantiated?

Sulavaca, yes, many of these cases are prosecuted when caught, they often make the news, especially when there are fires in the factories.

Dunno about teh workers you know, but I can point out one or two violatiosn to teh codes in most workers I know. And definetively you cannot compare our conditions as white collar workers to what this people get. They are not treated the same, even by officials, they will never even have the chance to stay here on accounts of their work and you’ve heard and seen what happens even when they are marrie dto locals. Theirs are much harder lives.

As a matter of fact, it is common in manufacture and fishing industries, which in the latter case, makes international news. The latest was when a group of 40 starving South East Asians was rescued abroad, after their Taiwanese “handlers” were aprehended. Unfortunately, yes, beteeen political pressure/corruption, they often get away.

Yes, they should be dealt more harshly, based on protocols of human rights already signed. You can check local websites on thsi matter, as it is quite lenghty. However, as you can see, due to ideological concerns -money over all- that is not the case.

Foreign blue collar workers work many dangerous jobs. This recent newsclip talked about a fire. The boss and his assistant were able to escape (but have serious burns all over their bodies) while two vietnamese workers burned to death. They were due to go home in Sept.

youtube.com/watch?v=hzt_BqMK … eature=sub

That’s too bad. In college one of my favorite thing to do is to trick muslims into eating pork and then tell them afterwards.

I was on an international military course in 1999 with three Egyptian muslims. They refused to eat pork at any meals and special provisions had to be made for them. Except at breakfast when they quite happily ate bacon. I asked the one guy about this and he shrugged his shoulders and said, “Yes, but bacon tastes good with eggs…”

She cant hire no more foreign workers.

etaiwannews.com/etn/news_con … ety_TAIWAN

All would have been well if she had just bought chicken or beef, even tuna. But no, pork is cheaper, and bottom line rules. Not to mention teh power trip of imposing her will on others ny hummiliating them just because she can…

Who want to bet she just folds up her current company, hence avoiding paying the fine, and just opens a new company and hires more foreign workers which she will treat even worse in less than a year? Any takers?

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/loca … female.htm

More foreign worker abuse . Treated like slaves and/or forced into sexual acts. Taiwanese can be as cruel as anyone.

[quote=“tommy525”]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/taichung/2010/05/23/257698/Maltreated-female.htm

More foreign worker abuse . Treated like slaves and/or forced into sexual acts. Taiwanese can be as cruel as anyone.[/quote]

[quote] In related news, a man in Taoyuan County, northern Taiwan, and his Indonesian girlfriend yesterday were sentenced to one year and two months in jail for forcing female foreign workers to engage in the sex trade.

The man, [color=#FF0000]surnamed Ho[/color], allegedly headed a ring of gangsters engaged in conning foreign female workers, mainly from Indonesia, into performing sex acts with paying customers by promising to give them excellent rewards.

[color=#FF0000]Ho[/color]'s girlfriend will be repatriated back to Indonesia after completing her jail term of one year and two months.[/quote]
:roflmao: Very aptly (sur)named…

[quote]During the tour, the officials found that the three Vietnamese workers were forced to perform tasks other than those stated in their labor contracts, that their passports, residence permits and overtime pay were held by their employer, and their freedom of movement was restricted.

Furthermore, in order to prevent the workers from running away, the employer recently started to lock the door of a five-ping room (one ping= 36 square feet) after they went to bed and put a plastic urinal inside the room.

[/quote]

See it is SOP?

They were fed only one bowl of rice and some soup a day…

i see many negative images on foreign workers here. i say most are well treated. some lucky ones are even treated like family members. they go to restaurants for dinners with Taiwanese families! you can go to parks in Taipei in the afternoon; you will see many foreign workers wheeling old people and they talk and laugh. before my grandmom died we used to hire indonesian workers to take care of my grandmom. they were definitely treated like family members. we gave them red envelopes during the Chinese New Year! unfortunately one of them stole things from us, but we just told the broker to send her back; didn’t even give her any bad look.

oh well, that Taiwanese woman is surely a b**ch no matter what her ethinicity is!

South Africa before 1990:
i see many negative images on blacks here. I say most are well treated. some lucky ones are even treated like family members. they go to restaurants for dinners with white families! you can go to parks in Johannesburg in the afternoon; you will see many blacks wheeling old people and they talk and laugh. before my grandmom died we used to hire black workers to work in the garden and clean the house. they were definitely treated like family members. we gave them gifts at Christmas and on New Years! unfortunately one of them stole things from us, but we just called the cops to take him/her back to the homelands; didn’t even give him/her any bad look.

Just sayin’ is all… :idunno:

That’s going to far. Most Taiwanese are decent people, like anyone anywhere. But it would be ignorant to ignore the plight of many foreign workers in Taiwan. It is quite common that Thai/Filipino/Indonesian etc workers are locked in dormitories at night. Most, if not all, are only allowed free time on a Sunday to go to church and meet with friends. And they have a curfew. Even on their day off. At best, they’re treated like children.

South Africa before 1990:
i see many negative images on blacks here. I say most are well treated. some lucky ones are even treated like family members. they go to restaurants for dinners with white families! you can go to parks in Johannesburg in the afternoon; you will see many blacks wheeling old people and they talk and laugh. before my grandmom died we used to hire black workers to work in the garden and clean the house. they were definitely treated like family members. we gave them gifts at Christmas and on New Years! unfortunately one of them stole things from us, but we just called the cops to take him/her back to the homelands; didn’t even give him/her any bad look.

Just sayin’ is all… :idunno:[/quote]
I’ve been thinking about this for 2 days. You maybe made a different point of view I didn’t think about before, but there are still differences inbetween your analogs. 1st of all, there is no apartheid in Taiwan. 2nd, I was talking about factual matters. Personally, I disagree to letting SE Asian laborers work here. It will make Taiwan stay put without the intention to advance to a higher ground.

That’s going to far. Most Taiwanese are decent people, like anyone anywhere. But it would be ignorant to ignore the plight of many foreign workers in Taiwan. It is quite common that Thai/Filipino/Indonesian etc workers are locked in dormitories at night. Most, if not all, are only allowed free time on a Sunday to go to church and meet with friends. And they have a curfew. Even on their day off. At best, they’re treated like children.[/quote]
It’s true there is currently existing inhuman treatment to those foreign laborers. But… Sorry I’ll take a bad example for this one: at lease we don’t see any foreign laborer jump off the floor for suicide like in China what happened to FoxConn. And my own witnessing on one of the domitories was that I heard alot of girly screaming, talking and laughing in there once I passed by a dorm in Hsinchu… Why did I know it’s a dorm for foreign laborers? Cuz I asked a SE Asian girl out from there!

Anyway I truly hope there will be no more or much less foreign laborers/maids working in Taiwan in the future. This we should learn from Japan, who has a very tight policy on move-in laborers.

So, on the other ‘land’, if you are Thai/Filipino/Indonesian people who happened to see this thread, go back ot your countiries, call for drastic politician reforms to pull down those interests-vested politicians who never really want the people to get good lives.

I met a Malaysian Muslim when I was in Thailand a few years back. He drank beer with me. I asked him about it, and he remarked that it was OK because he was in Thailand, far from family and friends.