TW woman indicted for forcing Muslims to eat pork, etc

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003472644

Quite rightly to punish her. Its not right to force muslims to eat pork, something they cannot eat.

Actually, the Koran allows Muslims to eat pork (and other non-Halal foods) in survival situations.

In any case, how did she force them to eat pork? Did she keep them prisoner and feed them at gunpoint?

haha funny Chris, apparently not. But it was part of the foods she prepared for them. I guess the muslims can refuse to eat it, but maybe they are going with that “survival” thought of mind. But shes in trouble for some other shenanigans involving the indos as well.

[quote=“Chris”]Actually, the Koran allows Muslims to eat pork (and other non-Halal foods) in survival situations.

In any case, how did she force them to eat pork? Did she keep them prisoner and feed them at gunpoint?[/quote]

The “lady of the house” told her Indonesian helper that if she did not eat the pork, she would deduct 500 nts from her pay each time. Since the Indonesian helper does not make much money anyway, she had little choice in the matter. It is simply abuse of the worse kind, uncalled for, humilliating someone because you have power over them. Thank goodness this person was “fined” and “had to pay 8 months salaries” to the Indonesian helper.:unamused:

This incident was not met with sympathy in local news. They insisted that Indonesians eat pork, and to prove it, they showed an Indonesian restaurants’ pork dishes… :noway:

A lot more to this than just eating pork. Another case of Taiwanese deciding they are at the top of the social scale. It looks, from the media story - and we already KNOW how dependable that is… :unamused: , this was just one aspect of this lovely lady.

[quote]Noting that religious freedom is a universal value, the prosecutors charged Chang Wen-ling (張雯琳), wife of Shin Hua Hang Fashion Co’s owner, of disrespecting her worker’s religion and violating their human rights, conduct that harmed the nation’s image. The prosecutors suggested a sentence of eight months for Chang.

According to the prosecutors, in September 2008 Chang used false documents to hire three Indonesian workers as caretakers, but it was later found that she had arranged for the trio to work in a factory. Citing the workers’ complaints, the prosecutors said the three were asked to work from 7am to midnight and forced to eat pork for seven months. In February last year, the three wrote a letter to Taipei County Government’s labor department asking for help, the prosecutors said.

After two inspection visits by bureau officials along with police, Chang and the broker through which she employed the trio were charged with violation of the Human Trafficking Prevention Act (人口販運防治法), the prosecutors said.

In a court hearing, Chang admitted she wanted the three to eat pork “so they would have more energy to do work,” but said that she did not force them to.

As the crime was committed before the Human Trafficking Prevention Act was enacted last June, the charge of violating the Human Trafficking Prevention Act against Chang and the broker was dropped, the prosecutors said.

While there have been rumors in the past about Muslim Indonesians being forced by their employers to eat pork, Taiwan International Workers Association yesterday said the Chang case marked the first time in which such a rumor has been found to have substance in a judicial case since Taiwan allowed the hiring of foreign workers in 1991.

The association said foreign workers in need of advice can call (02)2595-6858 for assistance.[/quote]

I was at a restaurant in Ximending last week, and the waiter, thinking I was Muslim (I’m not, actually), warned me that the soup contained pork.

Asked them to work from 7AM till midnight and give them pork so they can have more energy to do work, eh?

Sounds like I should put some of my (always tired, listless, unenthusiastic) co-workers on this lady’s winning diet. :notworthy:

I don’t always understand the whole “freedom” thing. There’s freedom to practice religion, even though some of them aren’t considered native to Taiwan and they also don’t consider religion to be a threat against their ‘own culture’, yet there’s no freedom to teach foreign languages in local kindergartens because that’s a threat against their ‘own culture’.

Weird!

If they can force kids to learn Chinese then they can surely force Muslims to eat pork can’t they?

you mean forcing kids to learn Mandarin Chinese?

What a sick b##ch!!!

Totally agree ! It was a power thing. She had the power and treated them like things.

Guys, you are missing an important point here: this is not a freakish “lady” being mean, but rather SOP by slave-trading entities. That this is the first time it is documented and proven, then sort of prosecuted, that is the most important achievement of this incident.

For instance, it is still rampant the use of South East Asian workers for stuff they have not been brought for. I was watching a program on TV explaining all the illegal instances against Indonesian workers, and it called my attention how commonplace these occur around us. For instance, the program presented a case where a wailao was set to work in a breakfast place, even though she was hired to take care of an elderly sick person. Funny, one of the places I buy breakfast from, they have this young wailao doing the same…

Just this Sunday, we had an interesting conversation. I was about to choose the usual, when I see her fixing a nice mushroom omelette, and top it with an onion patty. Oh, I’ve never seen that before, I say. The Taiwanese owner sticks her nose in and says how come. The young South East Asian workers says “oh, she’s Westener, but she’s probably not familiar with this dish”. Then the Taiwanese owner asks “oh, if she’s Westener, then what are you?” The girl gives me a look and replies “I am Dong Fan ren -Oriental- like you, too”. :doh:

This little dialogue illustrates the emotional distance that exists between some Taiwanese and the world. The cocoon in which the Taiwanese have lived for so long, that has slowed their international competitiveness, has also isolated them from understanding others and even complying with basic human rights. It is not a mere personal issue, as a society, the division is not between classes but skin colors, not workers or even nationalities, but layers -and questions- of humanity. My :2cents:

I think an even more basic point is that the “light-coloured” people of the East are racist against the dark-coloured people. It’s bad with the Taiwanese, the Chinese, HK, Japanese, Koreans, etc.

I think racism would be an example of ignorance, but the willful upkeep of a system so that inefficient and uncompetitive industries and systems can live on is nothing but criminal.

But what did the Taiwanese owner mean? He/she didn’t realize the Indonesian woman was Asian, or thought that you were Asian too?

What’s an onion patty?

an Irishman with BO?

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“Icon”]

Just this Sunday, we had an interesting conversation. I was about to choose the usual, when I see her fixing a nice mushroom omelette, and top it with an onion patty. Oh, I’ve never seen that before, I say. The Taiwanese owner sticks her nose in and says how come. The young South East Asian workers says “oh, she’s Westener, but she’s probably not familiar with this dish”. Then the Taiwanese owner asks “oh, if she’s Westener, then what are you?” The girl gives me a look and replies “I am Dong Fan ren -Oriental- like you, too”. :doh:

[/quote]
But what did the Taiwanese owner mean? He/she didn’t realize the Indonesian woman was Asian, or thought that you were Asian too?[/quote]

She did not realiza teh Indonesian woman was Asian. Now, this Indonesian in particular looks more Taiwanese than teh owner, only noticeable when she speaks…

Me? I was called “china” back home. Here, I am “laowai”. :eh:

Help me here, I don’t know the name in English. It is like a crimped big thick tortilla thing with onion in it. They usually fry it and sell it with egg inside. This combination I am telling you about uses it like a crepe, putting lots of veggies inside -tomatoe, lettuce, etc.- plus teh omelette and cheese and some sauce.

Quite good, actually. :lick:

an Irishman with BO?[/quote]

well done!