Two foreigners getting married in Taiwan

Hello there…

Looking for some help.

We are same sex couple living in South Korea. We would like to get married in Taiwan, however, we could not find any consolidated information online how and what we need to prepare prior to.

I am Canadian, and my partner is South African. We are trying to find information regarding:

1. How to obtain statement or confirmation of singleness for both of us (canada, south africa)
  2. Any additional documents to be prepared
  3. Any agents in Taiwan we can work with for smooth process

Thank you very much!

3 Likes

Calling @vibekiller

3 Likes

Hi!

1. I cannot help you with the documents from Canada or South Africa, but at least for other countries: you can get the “singleness statement” from a governmental or municipal office. For certain countries, they allow you to get this statement from your embassy.
    Then, the statement has to be legalized by your country (in my case, we had to take it to the Ministry of foreign affairs). Afterwards, you take it to your country’s TECO and legalize it and translate it to Chinese there (you can also translate it in Taiwan, but it is better if TECO does it right away).

2. They will ask for your passport, the singleness statement. I got married to a Taiwanese, so we also needed my wife’s household registration document, our rental contract, my ARC, and her ID. But if you are two foreigners, this might differ. Maybe other foreign couples from the forum can help us with this point :pray: :pray: :pray:

I would also suggest booking a time for getting married in a district office that has more experience handling foreign documents. I know the Xinyi one and Xindian are used to this kind of situation.

Another note, once you get married, get multiple copies of the marriage certificate in English (you can get them printed at the same office, right after you get married). Then, you will have to take these copies to the district court and legalize them so that you can use them abroad (I had to do this for legalizing my marriage in Italy and the embassy wouldn’t accept non-legalized copies).

4 Likes

I confirm this. All docs issued in TW to be accepted by foreign diplomatic posts have to be legalised at BOCA.

1 Like