Two People Living on One Person's Teaching Salary?

My wife and I will be moving to Taiwan this fall. I got the MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship, but only for three months (75,000 NTD total). That will nearly cover my tuition for the full academic year, but I won’t be allowed to work so we’ll need to live on my wife’s salary alone. We’ll be in Taipei (I’ll be studying at Shi-Da’s MTC). We were looking in the Da-an area until I found out that my scholarship is only three months, but I’d be open to commuting from another area if it would save us money.

Is one person’s English teaching salary enough for two to live on? We’re pretty frugal, and not the partying type (I’m there solely to study so I can start grad school in Chinese studies when I get back to the US).

Also, I know I can’t work while I’m on scholarship, but is there anything preventing me from working (legally) once the three months are over? That would make it quite a bit easier on us, I imagine, if I were able to tutor privately starting in December. I know some countries don’t allow students (on a student visa) to work, but what’s the situation like in Taiwan?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, two people can survive quite nicely on one person’s teaching salary, so long as you don’t let yourself get locked into some god-awful noobie-trap of a contract.

Thanks.

Anyone know about the working thing?

[quote=“ChineseQuest”]Thanks.

Anyone know about the working thing?[/quote]
I don’t think that you are allowed to work on a student visa, since you are married (assuming) to a Taiwanese you could change your visa after the three month scholarship is finished to a spouse visa which will allow you to work in Taiwan legally.
There are others on this forum that can give you better answers but as far as I know this would work.
Ohh and welcome to Taiwan from one foreign spouse to another. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Lappy”][quote=“ChineseQuest”]Thanks.

Anyone know about the working thing?[/quote]
I don’t think that you are allowed to work on a student visa, since you are married (assuming) to a Taiwanese you could change your visa after the three month scholarship is finished to a spouse visa which will allow you to work in Taiwan legally.
There are others on this forum that can give you better answers but as far as I know this would work.
Ohh and welcome to Taiwan from one foreign spouse to another. :slight_smile:[/quote]

No, my wife and I are both Americans.

Well I guess that rules out the possibility of me working. I thought I had read about people teaching English while studying at a university language center, but maybe I was wrong. Thanks for your help.

For you to wor legally you need to get a work permit which means you have to workat last 14 hours a week. You can teach privates (tutor) and although it isn’t legal, it is impossible enforce and I know (don’t ask why) that they don’t even try to.
You can get an ARC on your wife’s if she is working here legally but you can NOT teach with it.

You can live on one teacher’s salary pretty easily. Although I’m not sure how my friend with 4 kids and dwindling hours does it. And that’s the key. That one job needs to have good hours because a lot of jobs in Taiwan are part time (14-20 hrs/wk). 20 is possible to live on but 14 would require some sacrifices.

edit - it’s also possible to work illegally. There are a lot of schools that only have 4-8 hrs/wk for a foreign teacher and they prefer teachers with ARC’s thru other avenues. there are a lot of subbing jobs and you can do privates. But you do have to know the risks associated with teaching illegally. Deportation. although it’s unclear how long you have to leave Taiwan.

It is possible for you to get a work permit with no attachments to a job after 12 months of studying at a university here…but I don’t think you’ll be here that long to see that all the way through.

My recommendation if you want to save some money is to live over the bridge in either Yonghe or Zhonghe. You can save some money because food is actually much cheaper than Taipei. I’ve been seeing more and more foreigners around the Dingxi area lately. You can get to Shida in about 15 minutes from there. You could even bike if you’re into that. The downside is that there are SO MANY PEOPLE EVERYWHERE.

My scholarship is $25k a month and after $9500 for rent and living expenses I usually end up with around $3000 at the end of the month. I eat a lot of Subway, drink a lot, and take taxis a lot because I’m usually too late to take the bus to class.

If you don’t want to work illegally, you can just kind-of work illegally by picking up some tutoring jobs. You can always lie and say it’s language exchange.

One more thing, your tuition still needs to be paid separately from the scholarship. The scholarship gets put in your bank account on the first of each month. Take enough money with you to cover the tuition.

Thanks for the help, all!

Since I’m trying to make an academic career in Sinology and will likely return many times over the years, I don’t want to risk a black mark on my record the first time I visit by working illegally. We do have a good chunk of money saved, and can dip into it if we need to, but obviously we’d prefer not to. Sounds like we’ll be fine on just her salary. I won’t complain about not having to work. :smiley:

We’ll look into the 雙和’s, thanks for the recommendation. I’d prefer to be as close to MTC as possible while living on a reasonable budget, so that looks like a decent area. Population density doesn’t really bother me, but it might bother my wife, who has never lived in a real city before. We’ll see.

Thanks again!

You wont just be in a city, you will be in a megapolis. But its denizens often wonder how they could live elsewhere after they get the hang of it.

[quote=“mike029”]It is possible for you to get a work permit with no attachments to a job after 12 months of studying at a university here…but I don’t think you’ll be here that long to see that all the way through.

My recommendation if you want to save some money is to live over the bridge in either Yonghe or Zhonghe. You can save some money because food is actually much cheaper than Taipei. I’ve been seeing more and more foreigners around the Dingxi area lately. You can get to Shi-Da in about 15 minutes from there. You could even bike if you’re into that. The downside is that there are SO MANY PEOPLE EVERYWHERE.

My scholarship is $25k a month and after $9500 for rent and living expenses I usually end up with around $3000 at the end of the month. I eat a lot of Subway, drink a lot, and take taxis a lot because I’m usually too late to take the bus to class.

If you don’t want to work illegally, you can just kind-of work illegally by picking up some tutoring jobs. You can always lie and say it’s language exchange.

One more thing, your tuition still needs to be paid separately from the scholarship. The scholarship gets put in your bank account on the first of each month. Take enough money with you to cover the tuition.[/quote]

Mike brings up the important point that where you live and what kind of lifestyle you want to have will be the deciding factor in how effectively you can live on one teacher’s salary (which I assume to be in the 55-75,000NT a month range). I’d agree with him that you should live in “The County” or “New Taipei City” as the silly English signs say now. You will save like 30-50% a month on rent. The question is how much of a commute vs. how nice of a place.

Farther out places like Shijih, Linkou, Sanxia and Danshui will have the nicest environments (sidewalks! mountains and/or ocean! clean(ish) air!) and low cost of living These places also have a lot of new luxury style apartment communities that are very quiet pleasant places to live in compared to your traditional urban Taiwan squalor.
But you would spend more on transportation costs and spend up to an hour on commuting.

Closer in places like Banciao, Yonghe, Xindian, Sanchong are more convenient to Taipei and less of a commute but you are more likely to be living in an old communist-looking sh*&t-hole of a building in a polluted crowded neighborhood. And nicer luxury community places near Taipei will be more expensive than farther out.

In Taipei City you would be living in the same communist-looking sh&*t-hole but paying the same price as a bigger apartment in a luxury community outside of the city. For instance 14-16,000 will easily get you a luxury 2 bedroom in Sanxia or Danshui but thats about the going price for a dilapdated old 1 bedroom in a dirty old neighborhood in Taipei City. Or if you want to be really cheap you can get a dilapdated old 1 bedroom in New Taipei for like 8,000. But if you like to party, eat at western food restaraunts or have a lot of waiguo friends then Taipei City might be worth it. It seems to be for most foreigners, especially short term ones.

[quote=“ChineseQuest”]We’ll look into the 雙和’s, thanks for the recommendation. I’d prefer to be as close to MTC as possible while living on a reasonable budget, so that looks like a decent area. Population density doesn’t really bother me, but it might bother my wife, who has never lived in a real city before.
[/quote]
A better choice would be the area around Liouzhangli and Lingguang MRT stations. It’s on the same street (Heping) as MTC and the commute is easier and more pleasant than going from Yonghe. The apartments there are generally cheaper due to the area’s proximity to the big cemetary. So if you’re not superstitious like the locals, definitely check this neighborhood out.

Funny how superstitions surround military areas… :whistle:

I vouch for Xindian. Even an old bucket of a place like mine is big and cheap -and with a bit of TLC, quite amenable- say, 13 to 15 K for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath place, close to MRT -15 minute commute to MTC. Add insurance -must pay, really- Internet to stay in touch -about 1K- plus cellphone -another blue bill gone. With your own kitchen you can save a lot in Western style food, even if it is pasta and curries, plus the advantage that yes, meals are cheaper outside of Taipei City. And you would still have hills and hiking trails nearby. And population density is not as bad as Yonghe.

Remember that for a student at a language center, commuting (if he takes busses or the MRT) could mean substantial flash card time. I had a fabulous vocabulary when I had a 1 hour bus ride in each direction out to Fujen from Taipei…not so much these days back in the States where I don’t have to take busses anywhere. The wife may not be as enthusiastic about the commute to work, though – depending on where she gets a job. But the chances of getting a job near the MTC probably aren’t that high, as that would be a very desirable area from a foreign teacher’s perspective (I imagine).

hey. I support 9 beings with my salary. My folks(ok, don’t need to send spending money every month(only sometimes), but have to pay the mortgage of the townhouse I bought for them) Then I have 6 dogs …they cost a lot. So I pay rent here, mortgage back home, and I still won’t say I’m poor over here. Can’t do the things many other people do like go on holidays and buy clothes over NT1000…but I’m still rich in comparison to what I would have lived like back home.

Thanks so much to everyone for the help! We now know of several areas to look when we arrive.