Two volcanoes proven active by Academia Sinica study

There’s regular seismic events at an 18 minute interval from Tatun Volcanoes, and in addition, Turtle Island (Guishan island) is also proven to be a active volcano.

TVO researchers announced that for a volcano to be active, it must have erupted within the past 10,000 years and currently have a magma chamber underneath. After many years of monitoring, TVO researchers have concluded that both the TVG and Guishan Island are active volcanoes.

The magma chamber under Guishan is 1.5 larger than the one under Tatun.

if a volcanic eruption occurred on the island, it may produce a small-scale tsunami that would hit the extremely flat plains of Yilan.

1 Like

This seems to be a recurring news item. They already told us last year that Datun would erupt some time in the near future.

Also “Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) Deputy Minister Shieh Dar-bin (謝達斌) said the TVG is very close to the Taipei metropolitan area, reported CNA”. yeah, like, we didn’t know that. It’s not like a bus goes directly to the TVG every 10 minutes.

3 Likes

Yeah, but this time they’ve added Guishan into the list of active volcanoes. It might also explain why many prehistoric cultures along Yilan disappeared then rebuilt and disappeared again.

1 Like

In the words of Stevie Ray, I think it was because they couldn’t stand the weather…

1 Like

Was a long study needed, though? There’s often smoke coming out from the island, as well as earthquakes centered right below it. I thought that turtle island being an active volcano was common knowledge.

Stands in yangmingshan, sees sulphur and steam coming out of hole in side of a mountain that looks like a volcano.

Yeah I’d say it’s active alright .:smile:

Next up: Taiwan central range confirmed to have mountains .

3 Likes

There’s smoke coming out of Yangmingshan all the time as well, it still took them years to prove it’s active.

I am a living testament to the fact that smoking does not relate to “ active” :blush:

3 Likes

Wonder if it’ll affect real estate prices in YMS and Beitou?

I prefer the headlines in Chinese. They say something along the lines of heartbeat detected. Like those cadavers that suddenly start twitching…

2 Likes

Dibs on the old houses in YMS.

Don’t forget of Daxi; if we can manage to get people scared of this volcano thingy, maybe someone will sell a house in front of Turtle Island, near the surfing beach. The Ultimate Dodgy B&B…

The more I think about retirement, the more a B&B business beacons me…

We have great business around our volcanoes in the old country. Hostels, hotels, spas, restaurants, canopy, extreme sports, hiking, all fed by the collosal and destructive power of kaboom! Oh and geothermic power is hot!

If by weather you mean the ocean swells up to envelope the entire coastline.

The Pangcah legend of the great flood, where the prince of the sea, Ferarakas, son of sea god Rigaw, fell in love with Princess Tiyamacan, and caused a tsunami to force her to marry him, also seems like a tsunami myth.

2 Likes

Didn´t they say the east coast was tsunami proof duie to the cliffs?! :eek::runaway:

Daxi would be great for a b&b with side activities: swimming, surfing, diving, paragliding, hot springs, hiking…plenty of stuff to do.
Now you also get the bonus attraction:“WITNESS THE FURY OF THE MOUNTAIN” -> look at Turtle Island, sometimes there’s some smoke.

1 Like

For so long they thought Tatum to be dormant if not extinct.
Until I believe a Russian volcanologist discovered Tatum had erupted not 500000 years ago but only 5000 years ago thus putting it on the active list.

Guishan was thought to be smaller but now is larger ?

We should certainly hurry and make the nuclear plant open. We should also definately not try to figure out a sollution to said plants’ waste products.

Its a good day for volcanic activity, nuclear contamination, government corruption and social ignorance all around :slight_smile: but then everyday is exceedingly more exciting on those fronts. Hurray!

1 Like

Wonder how he figured that out…Might it have been the smoking sulphur deposits right on the side of Tatum :grin:.

That’s what I always thought , plus the fact that Taipei rhymes with Pompeii makes me uneasy.

Every time I’ve been in that area which was near daily I’ve always felt a sense of the power of the mountain. I’ve always felt it wasnt dead as most felt then.

Fumaroles they said ? Smeemaroles.

1 Like