Type of degree needed to teach abroad

Do you need a degree specifically from a english speaking country to get a work visa even if you’re a native speaker and tefl qualified?

If you have a passport from an English speaking country, any degree from any country should be ok to get a work permit to teach English at cram schools.

Thank you for the reply, was wanting to go to university in a place and possibly teach english afterwards or privately while I go to school. I currently have a associates from a english speaking country but did not know if they would hold it against me if I got a degree that was different than the overpriced degrees from the U.S. or U.K.

I’m afraid that I might not understand your post correctly. You have a passport from an English speaking country, and will go to uni in somenon-english speaking country, then come to Taiwan to teach English, is this right?

Then, any degree from any country is ok.

Would they accept a Taiwanese degree or would that even be a disadvantage? There was a pretty well reknowned school in Taipei for computer science I was considering but didn’t know if they would accept that afterwards or not for teaching English.

You might want to brush up on a few fundamentals of the language first.

4 Likes

Alright thank you, just making sure. Read somewhere that you need a degree from a english speaking country and wasn’t sure of the validity of that or not or if that was the only way you could get a visa.

If I go to school in Taipei I plan on doing just that even before I leave. I know that knowing chinese and being able to read traditional characters will be important except for the subway in Taipei which supposedly has english.

If you want to get a work permit for non English teaching job, you don’t need a passport from an English speaking country, and the degree can be from any country, including taiwanese degree. The degree should be relevant to the job, though.

I’m only speaking about teaching English in Taiwan, I wouldn’t want to be a programmer here as it wouldn’t be lucrative. Just wanted to know if I could get a work permit to teach english for a degree not strictly from the U.S. or the U.K. that is fully accredited.

FYI

Ministry of Education: Working in Taiwan

http://english.moe.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=622&ctNode=3008&mp=2

Thank you for the information, it is helpful. It does say that I would need a work permit but was just wondering if I would qualify for it while going to school in Taiwan or after I graduate there.

In regards to teaching english of course.

Seems like by that information it appears to be a yes, but it is also rather vague so just wanted to make sure.

It has been claimed that an associate’s degree is acceptable if you also have a teaching certificate.

The Workplace Development Agency decides whether or not to issue a work permit.

www.wda.gov.tw