Typhoon! 2002

I was watching CNN, and they mentioned that a large tropical storm, expected to become a typhoon is headed toward Taiwan.

Anyone hear about a warning for this?

PS: I checked the govt. weather site, nothing of value.

Moderators: do you post typhoon warnings on the homepage of oriented with the weather, I can’t remember seeing anything during Nari?

Maybe THursday or Friday if the closest one continues in the same direction. As of last night, it was about 1,500km away, with another about 4,000km away.

The Central Weather Bureau has a typhoon warning on its website, it’s at the top lefthand corner, really small. Doesn’t say much though other than that it’s likely to hit 2pm tomorrow. I find the CWB site really confusing.

Since this is going to be my 1st typhoon in Taiwan, can anyone explain what I should be doing?

They always take longer to get here than people expect. And let’s hope it’s not another Nari, stewing around out in the Pacific, changing course, and then dumping on Northern Taiwan. But then again, we do need the rain.

Shimmers, just make sure you have water, candles, and a flashlight in the house. During Nari, we lost power and water for a while (some people even days). I have a lot of old KMT cronies in my building, so we had power back on by the next day.

People tape up their windows in case the glass breaks.

Here are two links which will make it easy for you to track tropical cyclones in the pacific.

http://www.weather.com/maps/asia.html

https://metoc.npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc.html

The second link has very detailed information, and most weather services actually get their information from the US Navy’s Joint Typhoon Warning Center.

By Shimmers

quote[quote] Since this is going to be my 1st typhoon in Taiwan, can anyone explain what I should be doing? [/quote]Duck down to the 711, and fill your esky with piss, need I say more. 2:00 sounds perfect too … ah salary

quote[quote] Since this is going to be my 1st typhoon in Taiwan, can anyone explain what I should be doing? [/quote]

Ignore it. 9 times out of 10 they come to nothing. If it gets a bit windy get a Chinese speaking friend to check the radio and see if you have to go to work. If it really does happen, go out the next morning and ride around in the fresh post-typhoon air when there’s very little traffic. Very nice.

Bri

Looks like the eye of this typhoon is passing over Okinawa and heading in the direction of Shanghai, so Taiwan will only get the edge of it, mostly in North-East Taiwan (Jilong/Keelung, Yilan, Hualian.)

Satellite picture:
http://tw.weathers.yahoo.com/s1p.html

there’s a very handy phone number, where a machine tells you (but in Mandarin) if you are supposed to go to work/school, depending where you live.

020 300 166

Very convenient if you don’t want to ride your bike against rains and winds, get half drowed, just to discover that your office is closed for the day.
Or un Sunday evening to decide if you can stay up late…

Connie L.
(visit me sometimes)

Anyone heading out to Daxi this weekend to catch some of that typhoon wave action? Watch out for those rips!