Typhoon! 2003

Here is my personal favorite typhoon tracking site.

solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/Tropical/tropical.html

“Clear and breezy” is pretty typical pre-typhoon weather as the low pressure area around the typhoon begins drawing away a lot of cloud cover. However, today’s weather in Taipei would seem to contradict that.

I think the real question on everyone’s mind is: “When will I get to take a day off work, thanks to the Typhoon.” Man, I could sure use a day off to catch up.

With one or two exceptions, haven’t all of you been here for at least one typhoon? You all seems to be trying to wind each other up (No pun intended). Sort of like telling scary stories around the campfire at Lake Tittycaca. :laughing:

I’m not winding up, I’m excited (it was my cat that seemed worried!) :wink:

I’m one of your exceptions, I guess. The only 'phoon-like situation I’ve been in here was that shadow of a typhoon last year.

And, basically, Tomas is certainly right. All everybody is waiting for is a day off!! :wink:

Iris

My company’s policy in the past has been not to declare a day off until everyone arrives at the office. By the time they give us the option of going home, all of the bridges out of Hsin Tien have been closed. Crafty.

Yes! Please, God, send us a typhoon to give me a day off to sit inside and watch the Sopranos Season Three and eat popcorn and catch up on all that other crap!
Reminds me of snow days when I was a kid. I still wish for mother nature to throw us some R&R. Of course, it’s terrible when bad things happen to people in boats during these things. :unamused:

I was overjoyed to get day after day off during Typhoon Mari, bit of a bummer about the MRT being closed for 6 months though. Jia You Typhoon Bimmel !

It’s pretty windy out there today. What the heck is going on??

There’s a typhoon coming, pay attention to the thead ! :unamused:

Looks like the typhoon’s breaking up before it gets here: http://tw.weathers.yahoo.com/s1p.html

Surf’s up in Daxi! Honeymoon Bay, anyone? :slight_smile:

There’s a typhoon coming, pay attention to the thead ! :unamused:[/quote]

schnook!

Hold on while I look that up…
schnook also shnook n. Slang A stupid or easily victimized person; a dupe

That’ll be me

Hold on while I look that up…
schnook also shnook n. Slang A stupid or easily victimized person; a dupe

That’ll be me[/quote]

:smiley:

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]This has always been my favorite:
http://www.weather.com/maps/geography/asia/asiasatellite_large_animated.html[/quote]
What? The matchmaking ads?

Um, I have a coupe of days off this weekend, and am hoping to get out of Taipei. Does anyone suppose there could be a “dry spot” somewhere in Taiwan by this Friday?

Buckley’s chance :?,

The Big Babou

what’s the diff between a taifoon and a hurricane?

A good source of typhoon information is the Central Weather Bureau’s internet site. It is at www.cwb.gov.tw It has information in Chinese as well as English.

It you want to see how big or near a typhoon is you can click on the “Satellite” button for hourly satellite photos. The “Radar” button will show rainfall intensity.

To see the typhoon’s likely track, first click the “Typhoon” button then click the “Potential Track Forecast.”

. . . then you can go here and see who’s getting it right, https://www.npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc.html the US navy or the Taiwan Central Weather Bureau.

Sadly it very much looks like a working day tomorrow.

HG

Actually, the CWB wesite is correct. It’s the media that got it wrong. Perhaps is my Chinese was better I, too, could be a Taiwanese weatherman. I don’t think actually knowing how to do your job is required.