Typhoon 2006

Well . . . not quite a typhoon but the first tropical storm of the year for this part of the world . . . though it would seem that there is not much of a chance of us getting any more than some showers if that.

Image is too big for the page so have a look here

There have already been 6. I think this is the 7th. This one is just a depression over the sea. Rain, rain and more rain…

01- the first numbered storm of the year for a region
W - the region

It was showing up on the JTWC site as a tropical storm when I posted and has since been downgraded to a tropical depression.

[quote]01- the first numbered storm of the year for a region
W - the region [/quote]

Yeah, sorry. you’re absolutely right.

I’ll be arriving in Taiwan in May/June. I’ve never been anywhere near a typhoon/hurricane (they don’t really hit here in Idaho) so I’ve really no idea what to expect.

Wind and rain. Lots of both. A day off from school or work. Possibly a power outage. Possible flooding. Lots of wind and rain.

[quote=“Tigerman”]

Wind and rain. Lots of both. A day off from school or work. Possibly a power outage. Possible flooding. Lots of wind and rain.[/quote]

Ever any lightning/thunder? I personally love shooting photographs of lightning storms.

It doesn’t look too bad now, according to the CWB (but maybe I’m missing something), though they predict rain for Sun afternoon, Mon and Tues.

We had some amazing stroms last year, one where I was stupidly standing on the roof watching one when lightning struck the building across the street. I promptly legged it down stairs. However, I like to try to photograph storms too as they fascinate me. I always go outside to watch them and people think I’m .
In the mid-late summer months there is often thunderstorm activity in the afternoon, in the morning and occasionally at night, however it is quite sporadic.

Compared to other parts of asia, particularly Malaysia and Singapore, the thunderstorms in Taiwan although good, are lame in comparisson.

I should have known…the sky was blue so there must have been a storm somewhere nearby. The only time when the sky is blue over Taipei is before a storm (or when I’m in bed trying to get over this damn bronchitis and dreaming of my roller skates hitting the pavement around CKS Memorial Hall)…

As far as hurricanes/typhoons go, I remember when I was 5 or 6 years old and my mom let me play outside during a hurricane. I lived just a few miles from the coastline in St. Petersburg, Florida then. Not sure what that says about hurricanes, but I’m still here. If you’re in Taichung I think the mountains pretty much wear out all the fight and fuss from them. Actually, as long as you’re not living on the east coast, typhoons aren’t too bad generally. If you live on the east coast…why? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, the first typhoon (trop. storm Chanchu) of the year to potentially affect Taiwan’s weather is here:
http://www.npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc/warnings/wp0206.gif

Looks like it might bring extra rain to the south.

Oh well, off to fill up the sandbags. Saved my office furniture last year by doing that. Everyone else on the street had their houses fill up with water. They laughed at me coming home with loads of sandbags but it was very rewarding to have the last laugh when the water was rising and they were over asking if I had any extra. :laughing:

For those unable to open the above link, the latest forecast doesn’t have it coming as far northward:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]It doesn’t look too bad now, according to the CWB (but maybe I’m missing something), though they predict rain for Sun afternoon, Mon and Tues.
[/quote]

You are talking about Taipei. I thought they predict rain in Taipei every day. :laughing:

Its funny cause the storm system doesn’t even affect Taipei (and it won’t rain in Taichung).

Just for info, Monthly Mean Days of Precipitation (according to CWB):
Taipei 170
Hsinchu 119
Taichung 117

Taipei is bad!

[quote=“engerim”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]It doesn’t look too bad now, according to the CWB (but maybe I’m missing something), though they predict rain for Sun afternoon, Mon and Tues.
[/quote]

You are talking about Taipei. I thought they predict rain in Taipei every day. :laughing:

Its funny cause the storm system doesn’t even affect Taipei (and it won’t rain in Taichung).

Just for info, Monthly Mean Days of Precipitation (according to CWB):
Taipei 170
Hsinchu 119
Taichung 117

Taipei is bad![/quote]

And it drops to something like 90 days a year in the south. Still, Taipei is better than Jilong.

Well, the CWB has a fool proof system. They add percentages to the possibility of rain in any case they are right.

example: 10% chance of rain, if it doesn’t rain they are correct becuase it’s only 10% chance … if it rains they were right too, they said it’s 10% possibility.

I love typhoons! :laughing:

This is a typhoon panoramic I shot from the roof top pad last year (the morning after) ~ 5:00 AM August, 13 2005. It looked like World War III.

Typhoon Sunrise closeup shot.

Beautiful shots, Zerosum!

The world is on fire . . . or something like that.

Beautiful shots, Zerosum!

The world is on fire . . . or something like that.