Typhoon 2009

Ah, no wonder. We usually avoid flying during the Typhoons but I guess I should have checked your travel plans first before booking the tickets. We’re flying to LAX Monday evening. Good chance it won’t be too strong by then though.

For you typhoon lovers there is a program on the Discovery Channel called “Typhoon Hunter” that is a documentary about typhoons in Taiwan.

It’s on tonight at 9. I’m a gonna watch it. During a typhoon! In Taiwan!

It’s on at more times, check the china post website tv guide.

is there a new link to school/work closings in english?

Only schools and government offices on the outlying islands are closed.

The closings notice is usually posted at:

Chinese: typhoon.cpa.gov.tw/ (Official version)
English: vps1.jameslick.com/cpa/ (Unofficial auto-translation)

However, there is not any current work closure posting, and I didn’t see one last I checked. I’m not sure if they changed the location or they just didn’t bother posting anything.

Tropical Storm Four looks like it will be headed in our direction.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/wp200904_5day.gif

[quote=“scottyfl813”]Tropical Storm Four looks like it will be headed in our direction.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/wp200904_5day.gif[/quote]

Well North Taiwan didnt get the reservoirs filled with the last one, so maybe this one will do that for North Taiwan?

If we’re really lucky we’ll get the weekend off! Again!

Typhoon Nangka will very conveniently be right overhead as the removalists are here. Luvverly!

And I’ll be at the airport waiting and hoping to catch a flight!

And I’ll be on my way down from Yushan.

Good surfing weather.

That kind of thinking gets you a nice spot on the evening news…

Thats were they use our taxes, to resuce those who thinks its cool to surf during taifun :S…

Thats were they use our taxes, to resuce those who thinks its cool to surf during taifun :S…[/quote]
Cool? Who’s talking about cool? Its the best time, that’s all. Best waves. The ONLY time you can get good waves here in fact, unless you’re really really lucky. Nothing “cool” about it.
The only “cool” thing is the cold dead bodies of the stupid pricks who see experts riding the waves and think: “Duuuuh! I could do that. Never mind that I can’t even fucking SWIM!” Or the equally braindead fuckwits who stand on the breakwater and get swept away.

Thats were they use our taxes, to resuce those who thinks its cool to surf during taifun :S…[/quote]

Look at the news from last time. The most expensive rescue was a group of journalists up ion Nantou, covering the “prospective damage”.

That, and a group of hikers.

The atogas always make the news because of their handsome bodies and meekly following the officers to shore. Or staring at the rules of the beach like they’ve never seen one of those before… (thou shall not wear shorts, only Speedos)

Might go paragliding instead then.

Cool? Who’s talking about cool? Its the best time, that’s all. Best waves. The ONLY time you can get good waves here in fact, unless you’re really really lucky. Nothing “cool” about it.
The only “cool” thing is the cold dead bodies of the stupid pricks who see experts riding the waves and think: “Duuuuh! I could do that. Never mind that I can’t even fucking SWIM!” Or the equally braindead fuckwits who stand on the breakwater and get swept away.[/quote]

Right… experts… I define an expert as someone, who is experienced enough to decide when to go surfing and when to stay at home…even though there are good waves…

YOU know wahts cool? scroll up and down this page and theres an optical illusion in that last post with the lines and letters getting bigger and smaller as you scroll up or down…or maybe its too early in the morning for me :unamused: :ponder:

by-the-way, yes normally Taiwan doesnt have much in the way of surfing waves cept for a few places. And the only good waves are when a typhoon is in the region but then when the typhoon is coming they become like 40 foot monsters and only an expert or a fool or an expert fool can or should go out in those.

I hear there are HUGE FINES now for being on the beach when theres a foon. Bigger then the waves.

p.s. the illusion only works if you are using the mouse wheel and not the sidebar scroll thingy.
weird or what? Msoft for u.

The JTWC had the previous one coming closer to Taiwan than other tracks, and was wrong. Are we about to see a repeat flop? :ponder: