Typhoon 2009

We will see what the weekend brings. It seems the CWB is being doubly cautious after last year. Some foolish people seem to take their safety for granted.

Eight dead and eleven missing so far.

Bloody good weekend for that BBQ in T’aichung, redwagon. You got any hills nearby we can base jump off? Looking at the ‘phoon at the mo’, I reckon we could make Penghu with a reasonable gust.

Where’d you get that multi-track image? That’s cool.

After checking the JTWC to see their forecast and the name of the storm, I usually check the multi-track here. Choosing the storm name from the drop-down menu, you get a nice comparison. The updated one is here:

Our Hong Kong posters get all the good surfing this time, eh?

[quote=“guanbatt”][quote=“sandman”]
Cool? Who’s talking about cool? Its the best time, that’s all. Best waves. The ONLY time you can get good waves here in fact, unless you’re really really lucky. Nothing “cool” about it.
The only “cool” thing is the cold dead bodies of the stupid pricks who see experts riding the waves and think: “Duuuuh! I could do that. Never mind that I can’t even fucking SWIM!” Or the equally braindead fuckwits who stand on the breakwater and get swept away.[/quote]

Right… experts… I define an expert as someone, who is experienced enough to decide when to go surfing and when to stay at home…even though there are good waves…[/quote]
Right. And there are plenty of them around. I bet I know where Bubba 2 Guns will be this weekend. Face it, there’s simply no other time of year to get big wave surfing in Taiwan.

Just got back-fabulous morning and a choppy afternoon at my secret spot- :whistle:

got to go to work.

Hope it builds up to Sunday…I know a place the orange jump suits with cameras don’t.
Mmm hee hee hee.

After checking the JTWC to see their forecast and the name of the storm, I usually check the multi-track here. Choosing the storm name from the drop-down menu, you get a nice comparison. The updated one is here:
[/quote]

I usually check Weather Underground for daily weather and storms. The link in that first sentence is for Taipei, but you can select any city.

They also offer “stickers” you can put on a web page that update with “F5”:

Excuse me if that sounds like a commercial plug.

Thanks for the link, but that’s one of the very worst web page designs I’ve seen in a long time. A user shouldn’t have to search through such a jumble of visual clutter to find a tiny link in a random spot in order to get the info they want.

The typhoon scared away enough people that the three of us were the only ones to sit atop the peak of Mt. Morrison…I mean Yushan…during the entirety of Friday, June 26. With beautiful weather to boot!

Weather is awesome at present. :slight_smile: Sunny, nice breeze blowing the fluffy little clouds around.

With the paraglider you’d probably get blown to Shanghai. Considering the struggle it was to come the other way, I think I’ll pass on a free ride back there! :wink:

wow sounds incredible, on the flip side of course is that if the foon had hit, it could get dicey up there. Iv never been to Yushan and yet lived in Taiwan like forever.

Weather in Taipei this week has been fantastic.

looks like another one is coming now:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/wp200906.html

I was planning on going to Taroko gorge tomorrow. i don’t know if that’s a good idea now.

It’s not a typhoon, just a tropical depression. Thirty mph winds aren’t very strong. At its peak strength overnight, it might briefly venture into tropical storm territory. I think it’s just going to be a bit of wind and rain.

Why, oh, why, is it always on a weekend?

Sigh

[quote]The Central Weather Bureau (CWB) on Monday forecast torrential to extremely heavy rain over the next two days as a new tropical storm approaches Taiwan.

The weather system, which has not yet been named, formed over the Philippines two days ago and has been moving quickly toward Taiwan. 

Senior CWB forecaster Hsieh Ming-chang said the storm may strengthen over the next two days to become a typhoon. “There is a possibility that the weather bureau would issue sea and land warnings simultaneously for the storm late Monday or Tuesday if the system continues on its current path,” Hsieh said.

The weather bureau forecast that the outer bands of the storm will begin to affect Taiwan Monday, bringing torrential rain to central Taiwan and extremely heavy rain to the eastern and southern areas of the island. 

[/quote]

Looks like this one might get our southern friends wet.

We’ve got the Photowalk on Saturday afternoon in Taipei. There’d better not be a typhoon.

EDIT Just realized the World Games in Kaohsiung starts this weekend. They probably don’t want a typhoon either.

youtube.com/watch?v=dDkELYAM … re=channel

foon is going to skirt the tip of southern taiwan tonite and tomorrow it seems. but nobody can predict these things with certainty. It may head straight for the games.

Early warning