Typhoon 2009

Should be good waves next two days-East coast will be getting a swell tomorrow-Monday should be good-might have to call in sick.

See, THIS is why people accuse people of not loving Taiwan enough. SO irresponsible! Don’t you KNOW that the ocean is fucking WET? And has sand in it? And fish? If god had meant for people to go into the sea he’d have given us cars and bikes to get to the beach on. Honestly, if you hate it so much here, why don’t you just fuck off back to Canookislovakia and leave this place to TRUE Taiwan lovers who would NEVER go into the sea against the wishes of the fine upstanding stalwarts of the Coast Guard Administration, who only have your OWN best interests at heart? :fume:

wunderground.com/tropical/tr … ml#a_topad

Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain, rain, rain

On the weekend, on the weekend, on the weekend…

As usual…

Sigh

Another view of Morakot:

Looking more likely to affect us now

CWB has it heading straight through Taipei, peaking after midnight on Friday.

Why, oh, why, always on weekends? :cry:

It’s still early, but here is the comparison of the forecast tracks by the major agencies:

cheunghy.com/shared/tc/?name=MORAKOT

So, this will be my first typhoon in Taiwan, and I’m curious about what to expect. I used to live in Florida and have been through tropical storms where they didn’t even cancel school and a category 5 hurricane, which was pretty scary (the one that flattened Miami in 1992), but nothing in between. Looks like this may be cat 1 or 2 when it hits, how does that rank for Taiwan? If it goes exactly as the forecast predicts, is it likely to be just lots of wind and rain then back to normal, or more-than-minor damage/flooding? Will I likely be able to drive down to Taichung on Sunday? I’m studying some of the rivers down there and would really like to see them immediately post-typhoon…

This will be my first typhoon ever. I have a plane ticket to go to Hong Kong on Friday morning. Do you think this will affect my flight plans? Also I hope the pilot knows which runway to turn onto, the last thing I need is to go full speed into the side of a bulldozer

Here are some typhoon basics in case you’re interested:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46197

If this typhoon hits us, it’ll be the only one this year to do so. So says that great botanical soothsayer known as “typhoon grass”.

I still have my bet placed on September 24 (see first page for explanation)

This looks like a “typhoon” (medium typhoon), which typically means cancellation of work and school if you’re inside the big circle on the JTWC pic (the outer circle represents 34-knot winds; the next two inward are 50 and 64 kts.). Buildings are concrete and rebar, so you’ll be safe indoors, but outside, there’s a real risk from flying debris, drivers speeding along despite poor visibility, and flash floods. Stock up on food and beer in advance so you’re not tempted to run to 7-11 during dangerous weather. Have a look at the link I provided above for more details.

That depends on where you are and how much rain it dumps, but generally it’s lots of wind and rain, yes. Some places will get dangerous flooding, and a few people will probably die unnecessarily. It IS a hurricane, after all. Here it is taking shape:

The typhoon should have struck China and dissipated by Sunday, so I imagine you’ll be able to drive to Taizhong, yes.

If the storm doesn’t speed up in its forward progress, your flight should get out ok. Just have a look at where the outer circle is on the JTWC at 07/06z, which is 2pm Friday Taibei time.

Thanks for the info, sounds like there’s not too much to worry about in terms of destruction (in the city) and closures of major roads.
I’m pretty psyched, I really need some typhoons to hit for my work on the rivers, so the more rain it brings the better. Hopefully the typhoon grass is wrong and we’ll get a few more this season :slight_smile:.

Roads do get washed out, or blocked by landslides, but that’s much more common in rural and mountainous areas AFAIK. I’m not well informed on what happens with the major highways but my impression is that you should be ok to travel after the storm has passed. Others can probably provide better info on that, and you can check here during and just after the storm to see whether anyone has seen reports of closure of the highway you want to use.

I’m predicting Friday and Saturday morning off for schools in the north, and Friday afternoon and evening as well as Saturday morning off for businesses. :smiley:

Sigh. Yeah you’re probably right. They probably will. They don’t know who they are but they will. Sigh.

No worries, best time to go surfing…

your plane might be cancelled, it might not. Hard to tell this far out from the time of take-off. sometimes they let them go in amazing conditions, other times they are well grounded. Hard part may be getting to the airport. and you should be able to get on another flight but there’s no guarantee, depending on the class of the ticket.

good luck, y’all. i made this one turn towards Taiwan from Okinawa because I know you hate water rationing.

The tropical storm risk website seems to be predicting a direct hit category 4 tomorrow - time to bring in the outdoor furniture…