Typhoon 2013

TMD. Does anyone know what happens when a flight gets canceled? Do they put you on the next available flight or what?[/quote]

We had our travel interrupted due to a typhoon a couple years ago. Got stopped in Tokyo on our way back to Taipei–they (Cathay) rebooked us automatically on the next available flight after the storm passed. We were told to go to a hotel and come back to the airport in 24 hours to be rebooked; we finally made it back about 36 hours behind schedule.

Friday afternoon flight direct to LA. Oi.

Yep, it looks like they’re going to have a wee shower there in Yilan in a few days - and when a typhoon comes across mountains like those in Taiwan, funny things sometimes happen that defy the forecasts…

I’d say it’s quite OK to get a bit excited. The power of nature is, indeed, awesome / awe inspiring…

[quote=“yuli”]Yep, it looks like they’re going to have a wee shower there in Yilan in a few days - and when a typhoon comes across mountains like those in Taiwan, funny things sometimes happen that defy the forecasts…
[/quote]

Yeah. Remember the one last summer that kept bouncing off the mountains and looping around over the ocean? Stubborn little bugger, that one.

I am doing a public school summer camp that will go until Friday. On Thursday, we will be on campus with the students until 8:30 p.m.

On Friday, the students leave at 1 p.m.

Does anyone have real information about when they may issue an official typhoon day. Right now it looks pretty imminent to hit on Friday. If it is announced on Thursday between 5-8 p.m., might we still have our “performance” for the parents or will they most likely be picking up their kids to go home.

I know I should be asking my management, and have, but most of us know how gathering information can be nearly impossible.

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“PaddyB”][quote=“yuli”]Yep, it looks like they’re going to have a wee shower there in Yilan in a few days - and when a typhoon comes across mountains like those in Taiwan, funny things sometimes happen that defy the forecasts…
[/quote]

Yeah. Remember the one last summer that kept bouncing off the mountains and looping around over the ocean? Stubborn little bugger, that one.[/quote]

talking about this one?

typhoon2000.ph/multi/log.php … EMBIN_2012

One more thing:

For the newbies: prices of vegetables will go through the roof when a typhoon hits/is imminent -or as per today’s news, already have, pending damage to the crops. (We are talking charging today 75 nts for a bunch of leaves that was 15 nts last week, Ouch!).

So if you cook by yourself, go to a supermarket where they haven’t yet raised the prices…

Ah, and stock up on bread. It goes fast.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“PaddyB”][quote=“yuli”]Yep, it looks like they’re going to have a wee shower there in Yilan in a few days - and when a typhoon comes across mountains like those in Taiwan, funny things sometimes happen that defy the forecasts…
[/quote]

Yeah. Remember the one last summer that kept bouncing off the mountains and looping around over the ocean? Stubborn little bugger, that one.[/quote]

talking about this one?

typhoon2000.ph/multi/log.php … EMBIN_2012[/quote]

Yes, Tumbling Tembin, that’s right.

[quote=“Icon”]One more thing:

For the newbies: prices of vegetables will go through the roof when a typhoon hits/is imminent -or as per today’s news, already have, pending damage to the crops. (We are talking charging today 75 nts for a bunch of leaves that was 15 nts last week, Ouch!).

So if you cook by yourself, go to a supermarket where they haven’t yet raised the prices…

Ah, and stock up on bread. It goes fast.[/quote]

Oh poo! Prices have already gone up 20%. Not cool typhoon…not cool.

It heard us and now it is getting closer…Northern hit… but definitively on Saturday.

[ dead link removed ]

On the left side of this picture (at about 25N) you can see Miyako Island and two smaller islands, and at the margin just a tiny corner (the eastern edge) of Ishigaki island. The wind here has turned from southeast to northeast in the last 12 hours: the effects of the storm have started to become noticable…

My colleague told me the final announcement about work/classes would only be made tomorrow night.

Here are some more links that might be useful in tracking the path of the storm
weather.com/maps/maptype/sat … large.html
tropicalstormrisk.com/tracke … 1307W.html
weather.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_gis_e.htm

It certainly looks ominous. :ponder:

TMD. Does anyone know what happens when a flight gets canceled? Do they put you on the next available flight or what?[/quote]

you will get booked on the next available flight to your destination. the airline will not pay the hotel for you to stay in. if you have travel insurance then you can make good use of it if the weather cancels the flight. just read the fine print.

i think you may also have the option to get a refund to use on a future flight but that depends on the airline policy.

accuweather.com/en/weather-n … i/15048816

Better button down. Dont take any hiking trips into the mountains. I hope they close the airports down so we don’t get another SQ6 take off crash .

Stay safe brothers and sisters.

Looks like a big one, kids. Stay safe. :heart:

Now a bit further west, “inching” up on Miyako and Ishigaki Islands:

[ dead link removed ]

At 02:00 (Taiwan time) reported wind speeds near the center 55-70 m/s (180-250 km/h)

The extension of this storm is impressive: to the back of the eye, the spiral arms reach out abt. 1000km, to the front only abt. 500km - that means, after the eye has passed a certain location, there are at least two more days of “typhoon effect” at that location.

And this might keep you entertained for the next two, three days…

imocwx.com/typ/tyani_7.htm

[quote=“yuli”]And this might keep you entertained for the next two, three days…

imocwx.com/typ/tyani_7.htm[/quote]

I like the ominous nature of that link.
It’s a well-developed storm alright, although it does seem to be taking forever to get here (just impatient).

It will be my first time experiencing a typhoon. Bring it on, my supply of instant noodles and pork sausages are ample.