Typhoons 2021

A hot morning in Taipei followed by thunder and rain . . .

I dunno guys but this looks more like Taipei’s typical summer weather than a typhoon (at least for now . . . ).

Guy

The typhoon is not here yet, it’s approaching Hengchun. It will probably not hit Taipei but just skirt along the east coast.

Meanwhile in Taichung: 32°C and a little overcast.

Buy instant fucking noodles. Tape the fucking windows. Swear a lot.

2 Likes

People who know more about weather than I do: isn’t this sort of a perfect situation? Plenty of rain, but likely to be an indirect hit with little damage? (Famous last words!) Or do I have that totally wrong?

6 Likes

But too much rain in one place is not that good, flooding.

Well, obviously. But the south and centre desperately need rain. Taiwan’s reservoir system pretty much seems to depend on typhoons.

Anyone else got this?

Update: It got to Sanxia!

2 Likes

Not yet in Danshui. I wouldn’t even say things are looking typhoony today - less pollution than usual, but not atypical for summer; no more wind than usual. No rain yet today I believe. But that typhoon’s still a long way away from us.

So I guess what y’all are telling me is that I shouldn’t count on my plan to cycle over Yangmingshan and to Jinshan, coming back around the coast, tomorrow?

Me too.

It is seriously coming down in Taipei!

Guy

1 Like

Dang I’m about to head back to work. I hope it doesn’t rain till after I get off :confused:

… I am an idiot it’s definitely raining

1 Like

The winds are not high - hence why it isn’t rated as a Typhoon - Maximum gusts 25m/s or 90kmh at the Centre. Not scooter riding weather, or even nice in exposed places, more of a rain thing, and hopefully not too much at once else landslides etc happen.

And the rains in the north at present are not related, merely the afternoon thunderstorm stuff - careful of the lightning though.

2 Likes

Cool, and we need it, but is this even the typhoon weather yet? I’d have thought it’s too far away to really be affecting Taipei at this stage. Isn’t just the same sort of rain as we’ve had over the past few days?

EDIT: Not sure if this link will work, but the satellite image looks to me like the typhoon isn’t a factor currently.

EDIT 2: ah, I think you added this while I was editing? Or I missed it the first time. I dunno, I’m mildly confused about people giving what seem to be updates about how the typhoon is affecting us, even though it’s still a long ways off.

2 Likes

And if you look at the radar image in there you will see that the present stuff is at the north end, as well as another lot down around Nantou.

1 Like

Fuck me, it’s pishing it down.

My interwebs just got taken out. Lightning strike.

Is there any body out there?

6 Likes

Yo! I’m here in Hengchun. I can assure everyone that the typhoon isn’t here yet. It’s bone dry out, with not even the slightest breeze. The sky is overcast, and it’s balmy out.

Cheers.

Edit… you northerners are experiencing the plum rains.

2 Likes

agreed, Kaohsiung is barely cloudy

Oh no. The forbidden word.

2 Likes