Typhoons 2021

these ones?

https://www.astro.uu.se/~hoefner/quotes/q_dw1_pro.html

4 Likes

Am I suppose to actually prepare this time? This looks bigger than the last two.

Because itā€™s very very very hot in my rooftop apartment? :joy:

Yep Taichung needs more rain, I would guess you want at least 80 Percent full reservoirs end September. Right now it doesnā€™t look like that in Taichungā€¦

Essentially Taiwan needs more reservoirs and more expensive water. Improving the water quality would be a nice thingā€¦ Get the pipes and water so clean that no more chlorine is addedā€¦
Use lower quality water for agricultureā€¦

Taiwans biggest reservoirs are at 79, 60 and 44 percent nowā€¦ Actually in the north the last two weeks water levels have fallen a bit in the reservoirs. And Taichung is still in water saving mode (but without switch off water)

Thatā€™s impossible

Why impossible? Enough other countries show that itā€™s not a problem. You will never have chlorinated tap water in Austria or Switzerland except for temporary measures (very strong rain with tap water from agriculture regions).

Taiwans water comes mainly from mountain regions without agriculture. If the infrastructure around the water is right, itā€™s enough to UV clean the water and not add chlorine. But yeah, cannot have boats tucking along the drinking water supplies like sun moon lakeā€¦
In Austria or Switzerland there are heavy restrictions on what can be done in the water containment areasā€¦

The climate isnā€™t a valid excuse.

Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Only a tropical depression so far.

They be callinā€™ me that.

1 Like

Those actually bring a lot of rain and tend to linger for a longer time.

Furthermore I see that curved path and all I can think of is: donā€™t do a Nari!

2 Likes

One thing people dont seem to consider is that when working in super high humidity and heat, your skin MUST offgas. Which is actually quite hard when there is high humidity and extra barriers (oils, clothes etc). Clogging your pores with sunscreen is a surefast way to get heat stroke. Talking from experience and many close calls. Have had a few coworkers die from heat stroke, taiwanese locals. Even without oily shit clogging our skin, dust and pollution in places like taiwan will clog your pores just as well, regardless of the pollution deniers opinions. It is incredibly important to scrub your skin every hour or so to allow our pores to let the gas and sweat escape. We always have a lot of frozen water bottles for use on our groin/armpit/waist/neck to cool the blood as it passes and distributes throughout the body. Equally important is a bucket of clean water with a scoop and a scrub brush. I scrub my arms and legs every hour to allow gas exchange and better sweat penetration. This alone allows me to work faster and harder than those on the crews that dont by at least double, often more. Takes 3 minutes, and allows far more productivity and safety.

The shitty air quality here is as important to consider as the heat when it comes to people tapping out from heat stroke.

Sunscreen is a bad idea here! Covering your skin is the tried and tested best way. Plus the tips above to clear your pores. And i am a thick blooded canadian princess in the heatā€¦so im not very strong at work here, but these strategies have saved me and many collegues untold misery.

3 Likes

Perhaps you are forgetting the whole mess in the middle between the reservoirs and the tap. That is the issue more likely than a dead snake in a billion tonne lake.

I am not a chlorine fan either. But the water infrastructure here is stillā€¦meh.

Yeah of course, the mess in middle needs to be fixed too. Itā€™s two fold. But surely a lake with big scale.tourism like sun moon lake wonā€™t get you drinking water quality without processing the water first. Most other reservoirs are actually better isolatedā€¦

GFS at Windy has gone all in:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a load. None of that will save your skin. I responded to one thing: you ignorantly letting your skin get purple, repeatedly choosing to burn yourself, in particular your nose. Repeatedly.

Iā€™m an outdoor guy and Iā€™ve lived in tropical hot places, and deserts, and Iā€™ve seen people get eaten up by the sun. Iā€™ve known people who suffer years later from repeatedly enduring harsh sunburns. Noses in particular; just f#*! up. Iā€™ve seen people with big nasty bubble blisters; cooked lobster redā€¦ Youā€™re going to try and go academic. Thanks ā€“ I know about skin. How you guys do things to try and take care of yourselves sounds smart ā€“ good stuff.

Meanwhile you burn your nose daily. Thatā€™s why I wrote. Youā€™re wrong - thatā€™s a really baad choice. Burn it purple do ya? Put down the mouse and step away from the keyboard. If you have to go out go early or go late, go early and late, but in any case, if you must go out, cover up and use (find or make) a good sunscreen.

2 Likes

@Explant

Hang on a second. You said ā€˜princessā€™.

Have I been assuming your gender incorrectly? Apologies.

We need a space for people to nominate their preferred pronouns

Isnā€™t that what the custom title is for? I thought it was clear to everyone that my preferred pronoun is ā€˜Lightly saltedā€™ā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s a lie. No @IbisWtf no Typhoons.

1 Like

CWB also all in.

Might get a beautiful clear blue sky day with a typhoon kicking out all the clouds before it arrives.

3 Likes

That doesnā€™t look good. Coming in from the north, never good.

1 Like