Typhoons 2021

I’m a little confused is it a typhoon or storm? The app I use definitely says typhoon (which makes sense because the speed) but everywhere else says severe tropical storm.

Adding: looks like they updated the cempaka to typhoon. Maybe they’re just behind updating ours?

Imagine you’re the poor kid who doesn’t have to work during a pandemic because your job has been shut down and now you can’t afford food or rent.

If covering two square inches of nose skin with sunblock is causing you to have heat buildup and gas exchange problems, there is something seriously wrong with your body in general.

Also, put a bit on the tops of your ears. They are often neglected, and can stick out from some hats and get burned even worse than your nose. (Oh no, another half-square inch of gas exchange gone!)

1 Like

There’s a lot of OT in this thread… if only @tempogain could do his job and move it to something like “Too much sun in Taiwan”…

2 Likes

Probably depends on whether they are talking the present or forecast in a few days.

At 08:00 Taiwan time this morning it had sustained winds of 28 m/s - about 50 knots - which makes it a Tropical Storm.

It becomes a Category 1 Typhoon at 33 m/s / 64 knots. And could get up to 43 m/s - 83 knots in 3 days - Category 2.

Check the chart in the link.

1 Like

5 Likes

Uhh excuse me? CNN? You’re not @IbisWtf

Fake news.

fake

4 Likes

With warmer sea surface temperatures around Taiwan, it’s likely to intensify.

Per latest GFS, very heavy rain will arrive Thursday night in parts of Northern Taiwan.

Very heavy rain will continue all day Friday.

By Friday night the Eye will be somewhere north of the coast of Keelung.

So far nothing shows a technical “landfall”, the eye stays offshore. Actually, the models show the eye almost tracing around the north coast of Taiwan.

Saturday morning, after passing north of Taiwan it looks like the Typhoon speeds up and just goes straight into China by mid-day Saturday.

See direct link to GFS here:

• Click “10m_wnd_precip”
  • Then click “LOOP ALL” in right column to see computer model animation

https://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=GFS&area=ASIA&ps=area#

I think there’s a very good chance that Friday will be a Typhoon Day for those still commuting.

3 Likes

Oh hell yeah. If my bro Ron Paul is saying it’s happening, its DEF going down. 4 day workweek fingers crossed! :partying_face:

1 Like

No, om talking about using sunscreen on large portions of skin like arms, face, neck and legs…

It’s too far out to accurately reflect where the heavy rains will fall, but at the moment areas of Southern Taoyuan / Hsinchu / Miaoli and the Mountains in Miaoli look like they will get tons and tons of rain. 30 or 40 inches of rain over the next 144hrs. But I wouldn’t rely on this until we’re within hours of the storm since its hard to predict where dry air will intrude and cut down on precipitation.

1 Like

Tropical Storm Cempaka upgraded to typhoon

That’s the other one - over near Hainan Island.

“Ours” is still a “Severe Tropical Storm”.

1 Like

Well @IbisWtf might need all the Toilet Paper that he has saved up (and more), as on its current course, this one will make landfall right about where he said that he lives (the rice paddies between Yilan and the Coast).

1 Like

I’m just testing this one for you guys as it passes Okinawa. Definitely not a big one. but we will have about a week of heavy rain starting tonight, and winds 30-60 knots, so time to tie down the kayaks.

4 Likes

and did someone mention earthquakes triggered by typhoons upthread a ways?

We had our first noticeable earthquake for ages here this morning, just as the larger typhoon swell started appearing. A 4.8 only 10 km down, but off the coast a decent bit so just some mild swaying in my apartment.

5 Likes

Has anyone seen the comments on Reddit thinking the heavy rain in China is from climate change (not a typhoon)? Americans really do live in a bubble lol

Looks like we might get a double whammy:

3 Likes

In case of typhoon, fake vaccines will be suspended

The fireworks of Typhoon No. 6 are estimated to be the closest to Taiwan from 22 to 23. The commander of the Epidemic Command Center Chen Shizhong said today that in the event of a typhoon holiday, the COVID-19 vaccination station will be suspended, and the qualifications of those who have made an appointment will be retained until the next week. People can make an appointment when they receive the newsletter again.

1 Like

a Typhoon with fireworks, sounds like a real blowout :fireworks:

There’s been studies that Typhoons trigger slow-quakes as they pass, but these are undetectable since they happen over the course of a few days. There has also been a strong correlation with heavy typhoon seasons being followed by landslides and 6+ magnitude earthquakes within a couple years, with water and land displacement unloading stress near existing faults. The Haiti and Kaohsiung earthquakes were found to be strongly correlated to the preceding Hurricane and Typhoon seasons.

But in terms of earthquakes happening before the Typhoon, this is something I am just assuming because of storm surges – a dome of water under the low-pressure eye of the Typhoon bears down more weight on the sea floor and might trigger a quake that can actually be felt. I don’t know if science has proved this particular interaction yet.