Typing in Pinyin in Windows XP

I think there was a thread about this some time ago…

I can only get to MSPinYin 98 in my Windows 2000, but I can’t find it in XP. Can anyone show me how? :unamused:

Thanks!!

microsoft.com/globaldev/hand … lsupp.mspx
microsoft.com/globaldev/hand … Paper.mspx

These should get you there, it’s pretty easy once you figure out how! :laughing:

can anyone help me - i have chinese installed on my computer
and can produce the characters no probs

but i want to be able to type and print out in pinyin - how can I do this?
its just a case of adding the tone marks

any help would be much appreciated
oli
:fume:

As a workaround, you could use the tool on my Web site to convert pinyin tone numbers to tone marks and then paste the results into Word.

Make sure you set the font for your pinyin text to “Arial Unicode MS” or “Lucida Sans Unicode,” or the results probably won’t look right.

not a bad idea

ta

From this website, you can download an application called Hanzi to Pinyin and test it for 30 days (you have to be logged on to the internet when you want to use it). It converts already typed-in Chinese characters to Pinyin with tone marks.

HTH
Iris

And FWIW I think NJStar Chinese Word Processor will let you convert characters to pinyin with tone marks. It’s shareware, but the version I’ve got has no timelimit and no noticable crippling, so…

You could also try the Unicode::Unihan perl module. search.cpan.org/~dankogai/Unicod … /Unihan.pm

By entering an Autocorrect entry in Word such that an1 becomes an plus tone mark, you can program the entire syllabary into Word. The tone marks can be pasted from the symbols menu for this purpose.

I’m not on my home computer but if I remember what I did was go into Insert-Symbols find the vowels with tonal marks and then create shortcuts for each of the vowels and their four tonal marks. o4 would have the shortcut cntr o 4, meaning you press cntr first then o then 4. Works brilliantly and it’s intuitive as that’s how you would type out words with tonal marks as numbers.

BTW, I can’t remember if I used cntr or alt as one of them was opening up other programs. [/list]

Yes, that’s exactly what I did, except I went farther, creating each potential syllable-tone combo (see table in many dictionaries), then making a shortcut for each one using MS Word - Tools -Autocorrect, such that typing ban1 or bang2 or zhang3 (etc.) would each result in the correct vsn with pinyin, for the entire language. It took me about 2 weeks to enter all of them, but now I can write pinyin with ease.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Yes, that’s exactly what I did, except I went farther, creating each potential syllable-tone combo (see table in many dictionaries), then making a shortcut for each one using MS Word - Tools -Autocorrect, such that typing ban1 or bang2 or zhang3 (etc.) would each result in the correct vsn with pinyin, for the entire language. It took me about 2 weeks to enter all of them, but now I can write pinyin with ease.[/quote]maybe you can type 汉语拼音 软件 in www.baidu.com

Then you can find lots of software that may satisfy you.

But mostly they are sharewares.

Cranky’s site works very well for this!

Of course, it’d be even better to be able to do this through the IME or otherwise while typing.

My above-mentioned Autocorrect technique works only in Word, although as with Cranky’s you can cut and paste into other app’s.

An IME-based method, as in NJStar’s Communicator, would be nice, but I’ve found NJStar’s not to work well. If you figure out how to select the right option, you do get pinyin output, with tones. Very ugly output in Word, though, with irregular kern and leading (i.e., characters shifted vertically or horizontally, very ugly), despite my effort to fix it by changing the font. Extremely odd, because I know what the diacriticals and kerning look like in the font involved, and that wasn

see also

csulb.edu/~txie/PINYIN/pinyin.htm

and, less relevant but still worth noting,

chinese-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2392
chinese-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2877