Typing with Pinyin in Office Applications

I met with a couple of English fellows on Saturday morning, and when they weren’t saying things like “oi” and “bollocks,” I caught word of a miraculous solution to my super-slow bopomofo typing speed when I have to write in Chinese–the use of an intelligent pinyin typing function in Office.

Now, for my question…

How do I turn this on/set it up? I am running Vista and Office 2007.

Step by step, if you please. I have a low technology IQ.

Cheers!

Tomas

The magical system you seek is not part of Office, rather, it is a part of your operating system (in this case Vista). I believe a fellow called Joe has written a guide for perplexed souls such as yourself.

Tally ho!

Arrr, 'tis witchcraft!

[quote=“Taffy”]The magical system you seek is not part of Office, rather, it is a part of your operating system (in this case Vista). I believe a fellow called Joe has written a guide for perplexed souls such as yourself.

Tally ho![/quote]

Well I supposed I could have just asked you directly. Thanks mate.

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“Taffy”]The magical system you seek is not part of Office, rather, it is a part of your operating system (in this case Vista). I believe a fellow called Joe has written a guide for perplexed souls such as yourself.

Tally ho![/quote]

Well I supposed I could have just asked you directly. Thanks mate.[/quote]

I’ve been using this intelligent pinyin input system for years. With the exception of a couple anomalies (“sheme” instead of “shenme” for “什麼” and the fact that it doesn’t recognize “ai” as valid pinyin for “癌” (preferring “yan”)), it rocks!

Friends don’t let friends type in Zhuyin fuhao. The horror.

[quote]
With the exception of a couple anomalies (“sheme” instead of “shenme” for “什麼” [/quote]

That is weird. I note that you can’t type it with the tones either. You have to type ‘she’ and then ‘me’ followed by a space to get the correct combination of characters.

This I find easier to understand since the MOE’s Guoyu Cidian spells it yan2, not ai2.

This I find easier to understand since the MOE’s Guoyu Cidian spells it yan2, not ai2.[/quote]

Which is fine, but the IME should allow for both variations, especially since “ai” is by far the most common pronunciation.