U.S. Citizens moving to Taiwan in record numbers

I’m sure this belongs with some thread. I’ll let the moderators find it.

Defying the China Threat: U.S. Citizens Moving to Taiwan in Record Numbers

1 Like

US citizens moving to Taiwan I’m record numbers

You’re what??

6 Likes

Mods will take care of that too.

At the same time Taiwanese are moving out. Professionals going to the US and now more and more to China in search of better opportunities. Families moving out with their sons to evade the new conscription rules.

If the two trends continue in 100 years Taiwan will have more American residents than Taiwanese.

Taiwanese stopped moving to the USA en masse in the early 1990s.

That’s driven by an aging population. Old people are staying, young people with good education are still moving.

I don’t know how many young Taiwanese are moving to the US, but the numbers pale in comparison to those moving to China.

Agreed. Which also reinforces the trend of Americans taking over Taiwan :thinking:

Maybe in a few years we can get all of the American institutions in Taiwan: Cinnabon, Sonic Burger, Taco Bell. Must beat those TW breakfast stores.

1 Like

They’re not gross but hell no.

What hardworking Taiwanese wants to set up shop in this kind of neighborhood?

Probably the same reason US citizens wants to come here. Besides there’s no jobs in America, it’s all been outsourced.

At least Taiwan doesn’t do this

Maybe they should lock up thieves instead of products…

2 Likes

A shitload of Taiwanese came back from Cbina during covid. I guess some will go back but not many.
Many try to get overseas passports or residence ‘just in case’.
Taiwanese don’t emigrate much as far as I can tell.
As for a few thousand gold card holders or whatever…meh.

4 Likes

I know so many Taiwanese who have left China in last year. So many companies are trying to get out

I think very few people will be moving to China now, unless the money is really good

On the other hand, I know many Taiwanese in my circle who are worried about war and trying to get green cards or alternative passports

If you notice in the last year, there have been more advertisements for immigration agencies about.

5 Likes

This is such bullshit. Maybe the record was 500 a year and now it’s 550 moving here

Americans are not moving to Taiwan in droves. And 100% not more than Taiwanese moving to their States

9 Likes

I think this article is a bit old. There was a massive influx of younger ABCs/Taiwanese but with US passport during COVID. Those are gone already. China? Gone for ages. Ask the people who used to work in Taiwanese schools say in Shanghai.

For comparison, the old country, which is a retirement destination, is seeing massive exodus of older US/UK/Europeans due to higher cost of living/lower safety due to criminal activities.

At the same time, younger digital nomads love it.

As to the US, I am appalled at the number of videos on my feed of young professionals living in their cars. Mind-blowing me thinks.

It used to be US young folk would come to Taiwan, work a few years, save enough money to pay college or credit card loans and still have enough left to set themselves up right. Not anymore. Debts too high, salaries here too low. IMHO.

4 Likes

If there is a war with China, I would hedge a bet like what they did with those from Hong Kong, the UK will be offering professionals from Taiwan long term visas with an option for becoming a national within 3-5 years.
Not because of the goodness of their hearts, though

Wouldn’t bet on that. Europe is already overwhelmed with refugees.

1 Like

:nauseated_face:

:pray:

They won’t want blue truck drivers (who won’t leave anyway).
It will be nurses, doctors, dentists, etc., that they want, so their reverse colonialism can continue. They don’t have to invest in training their own subjects in the UK - which has been the way for decades now.
Escaping an island is a lot harder than crossing land to another country, though.

If there was a war, I think the whole world will basically collapse. The global economy will go back ten years. Supply chains will break down. Famines.

The full force of the U.S. versus China military will be something completely unseen in the modern era and the destruction will be unparalleled.

2 Likes

Love the new profile.