U.S. IRS requires a phone number to file electronically

Every year I’ve filed my US taxes by mail. This time I’m trying to do it electronically, mostly because I want the 3rd stimulus check that I never received to be deposited electronically.

Anyway, of course nothing tech related goes smoothly for me. I’m using one of the free services listed (TaxSlayer) and I get to the point of filling in my phone number. It won’t accept a Taiwan number. When I try to skip it, the program won’t continue and gives me the message “The IRS requires your phone number to file electronically.”

I’ve seen several posts in the past with Taiwan residents filing their US taxes electronically. How have you done it without a US phone number?

1 Like

I’m not American…but, you can get a US number with skype.

1 Like

Because my wife is a “non-U.S. person,” I’m not allowed to file electronically. The IRS has some pretty bizarre rules…

4 Likes

I forgot that I got a US number previously with an app called TextNow, when I had a problem with my US credit card. So everything is fine.

2 Likes

That sounds like it could be useful.

It’s proven to be very useful, at least in the two instances I’ve used it now.
My US credit card company wouldn’t let me log into my account until I reverified myself by text message, and they don’t allow a non-US phone number to do this. Anyway, the card customer service I called was extremely helpful in trying to figure out a workaround and the rep suggested TextNow, which worked like a charm.

2 Likes

I will try it later

Google Voice (voice.google.com) also gives you a US number and supports receiving text messages along with some other handy features like email forwarding of text messages and voicemail transcripts.

1 Like

Some US banks/credit companies will not let me use a Google Voice number. Example is E-Trade and REI credit card (US Bank).

I just use my parents landline.

That is old. When was the last time you tried it? I’d say for two years now, I’ve been able to check a box ‘nonus spouse’ and efile married filing separate returns.

1 Like

And IRS will soon require this to use its portal.

To create an ID.me account, users must submit several pieces of documentation as well as a live video selfie.

Really? That would be awesome. Sending paper copies is such a hassle.

Oh, I see: non-US spouse. For a moment I was wondering why they would care if you’re on your ninth marriage. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If they thought they were overrun with people calling due to filing problems before, the IRS wins the award for “most certainly found 1000000x more work to do”