U.S. Selective Service Registration. Did you or your son register?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

My son is over 18 so I’m looking into this. Is it something most men do?
I’m way over the age and was already in the military so never paid much attention to it.
Does the registration section of the site even look secure enough to be submitting a SSN and other details?
Thanks for any comments.
https://www.sss.gov/register/who-needs-to-register/

You register online or do it by post office. It’s not a big deal. Do this before 26 or else you will be locked out of financial aid!

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve heard some States won’t give a driver’s license without it.
Do you get some kind of card after registration?
Will they send the registration papers to a Taiwan address?

Yes, register. I think it’s technically a felony not to (probably not a real concern though), and you’re locked out of some financial aid, federal jobs, some state jobs, can’t get a security clearance. Basically limits some options, so register and be done with it. You do get a card of some kind, but you don’t need it (you might need the number at some point, but not the actual card (you can get the number online if you forget)).

1 Like

“A man who fails to register with Selective Service may be ineligible for opportunities that may be important to his future. He must register to be eligible for state-funded student financial aid in many states, most federal employment, some state employment, security clearance for contractors, job training under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (formerly known as the Workforce Investment Act), and U.S. citizenship for immigrant men.

If required to register with Selective Service, failure to register is a felony punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and/or 5 years imprisonment . Also, a person who knowingly counsels, aids, or abets another to fail to comply with the registration requirement is subject to the same penalties.“

2 Likes

I just curiously searched myself. I’m there. :grin:

1 Like

I had registered as soon as I turned 18. I got a card in the mail.

When I went back to the states they claimed that they didn’t have my registration and I had to explain why to the financial aid office (as you do get locked out of financial aid if you did not), I just said I wasn’t in the states at the age of 26.

US records are weird like this.

1 Like

Thanks. I just vaguely remember one friend who had a card and would flash it around at times like he was ready to go off to war.:laughing:

Also, a person who knowingly counsels, aids, or abets another to fail to comply with the registration requirement is subject to the same penalties.“

That sounds quite serious! I remember when getting discharged from the military and we were still given the registration forms even though we were technically on inactive duty a few more years. They half suggested we just throw them in the garbage :laughing:, which was what most did do.

As long as you don’t piss the ruling class off you should be fine. One problem though is if it ever is your fifteen minutes to be an enemy of the state this thread may resurface and it would be hard to argue then you didn’t “knowingly” counsel another person to fail to comply with the registration requirement. Even deleting this thread now purposely to avoid that possibility is a potential obstruction of justice felony.

1 Like

Governments essentially have dictatorship like power now. If they wanted to jail you for 2 years, they can just arrest you and find laws on the book to put you in jail for.

If it comes to that there will probably be more serious things to worry about then what happened 40 years ago. Ha…