Uber? Should Taiwan allow Uber to operate?

If you think taxis are bad in Taipei you should try Taoyuan outside the train station or most of Taichung!

1 Like

Disagreed: Worthy taxi drivers don’t need protection, as they are worthy. Unworthy taxi drivers are unworthy of protection.

2 Likes

Saw this recently. It basically says drivers under 4.6 are no longer allowed to operate. And requests mention any problems and it will be fixed immediately.

Everybody’s being scored and ranked these days somewhere.

20180203_213749

Too often over last few years I get the agitated style taxi driver with ticks and grunts and stressed out driving style. Not smooth but jerky type driving. Come to think of it, it’s a good reflection of Taiwan society as a whole. Far too agitated.

That’s to protect him from rogue customers!

And how does one recovers after being downgraded?

What’s their rate for an airport run? And how about a day trip?

If you have google maps (and Uber), check directions and scroll to bottom and it will show estimated Uber rate. From 101 area to Taoyuan is around NT$1200 give or take NT$100.

It’s mostly useful if raining so don’t want to go out and find taxi, or if leaving from odd location. The Uber non-taxi drivers tend to be better quality vehicle and experience.

Good question. And who decides the downgrade score of 4.6? Is it negotiated between Taiwan government or taxi mafia and Uber or just decided by Uber?

Despise Uber

I give him NT$ 1,000. I used to give him NT$ 900.

He usually arrives wherever I am about 15 minutes early - and over the years, I have gone to the airport from 3 or 4 different places.

Of all the things that could be despised in the world, Uber is it. Uber is great especially if you travel internationally

1 Like

Yeah, Uber was wonderful in Rome and in other places that I’m just not familiar with and know the language.

Uber is a cancer

ok, open up, share with us fellow Uber’ers. wat’s da prolemo.

Uber is great until your job turns into an Uberjob. Then Uber is your nightmare.

1 Like

It’s not an ‘uber’ job, it’s an under job!

Got in a taxi. Changed my mind about a destination and the cabbie gave me some attitude. Told him if he wasn’t happy let me out here and I’ll call a Uber and he changed his tone real quick. Uber is good for consumers.

Uber is the devil

The company is a mish mash of the worst of silicon valley and wall street. They are the wolf of wall street on meth and hell-bent on eroding all of the victories of trade unions and progressivism for the last 200 years.

Its a long read, but have a go at this series on shy Uber is a Ponzi scheme https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2016/11/can-uber-ever-deliver-part-one-understanding-ubers-bleak-operating-economics.html

These cheap taxis are cheap for a reason. Uber is pure scum . Total scum and I don’t begrudge anyone using them. But be aware of the part you are playing in the downfall of society and the nation state. Uber is evil

Uber is hell for anyone Apart from wall street