Ubox4 info request

Hi I’m interested in the Ubox 4 from http://www.unblocktech.com/en/ubox4/
Any reviews or feedback on watching English shows like bbc in Taiwan? Tia

I’ve seen these types of devices around, so far as far as I can tell, they work quite well. The Pro version of what you just linked, makes me want to buy it, I’m just looking for a price and info if gets AU channels! Since the Pro runs on 7.0 it will run my plex better, since I have over 1k movies and 300 different series on my NAS, currently running it all through chromecast, but it’s unreliable :frowning:

I was going to just buy a steam box for like 2000nt, but what you linked because of the channels, seems much better! Thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Danielw, I tried to find a price on their website to no avail. My Taiwanese wife says its around 4000nt and Amazon US sells it. The version I saw was the HK on a TV and the models seems to be for different countries. Not sure the difference. I’ve read this product referred to as IPTV. Still looking for a creditable positive review.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=5092303&initiative_id=AS_20190301081251&SearchText=ubox4

Could be a lot of fakes. I trust these about as much as downloading torrents. I would prefer something different, though. Free IPTV service means it may not last long after you buy it. There are plenty of other Android boxes that let you install your own apps. I didn’t see that option on these.

Guanghua electronic plaza near zhongxiao xingsheng mrt has many sellers and that Pro version is about 3000 nt or less. The place I bought it at can demo it for you so you can see the Live channels it has plus all the TV shows and movies.

It works great but you are relying on the china apps that host the channels / movies to stick around. Obviously if they get shut down then the box has no use.

Picture quality for the TV shows and movies is really good. Picture quality for the ‘live’ TV channels around the world is less good. And varies.

Also the searching function for specific movies or TV shows is horrible. You cannot search using English names. You can search by region and by year of its release /upload.

You can change the box language to English but lots of stuff within each app stays in Chinese. Also most foreign language movies do not have English subtitles.

Thanks best intentions. That’s what I was looking for - a critical review from a user in Taiwan.

Best intentions- which Ubox model do you use? Any feedback on the Ubox pro 2?

I have the Ubox Pro 2 for about 1 year now and also brought one to the USA for my parents and it works just fine there.

My above review was for the Pro 2 version. I have not tried to Ubox4, so sorry for any confusion.

The actual unit is quite fast and stable–no lockups or shutdowns in the middle of watching. The wifi connection is stable and you can also use ethernet. Sometimes (like 1 time per month) I have issues with “buffering” / things being slow but it is rare. Not sure if the issue is my connection speed or the china servers getting the show.

I use it as my primary source for TV and Movies (only have basic version of MOD but never use it). But I should say I really only watch TV/movies on the weekends. They have lots and lots of “live” channels from all around the world but I tend not to watch them (just personal preference) except for watching NBA basketball or tennis. There “live” channels have no TV GUIDE in the sense of seeing what shows are playing or upcoming in the future. You would have to click on the channel to see what is there.

For the ‘on demand’ movies and TV shows they have most from netflix and some from Amazon and hulu. They have thousands of “western shows” and even more from Asia. And of course 5,000+ movies. they have documentary movies and quite a few of the very famous BBC nature series.

Remember you cannot search “well”…even in chinese to search you would have to know the Chinese name of the movie and key it in that way but that is super hard to do. You would have to scroll through. You are able to “like” shows and movies so that they get saved to a certain area. If you start and stop a movie, it will remember your place.

I’d recommend but it really depends on how you intend to use it.

Also i did see some youtube videos from as recent as end of 2018 showing the “live TV” channel list if you are interested in seeing what channels they have.

Thanks for the information. We’re interested in some of the BBC shows not on Netflix. The Pro2 sounds like a decent deal. I tried some of the LG/IPTV apps but they seem unstable and unprofessional since creating an account wasn’t smooth. Leary of giving personal info. Thanks again.

Yes, i was unable to find a price also, or a comprehensive list of country channels. I did see the pro only has 24 vs the other one with 1000. If i can find some info and has the channels or close to the channels i want, I’ll buy one, since it’s Android i can run my plex app for my server, so either way it will probably be worth it.

Hi Best_intentions,
Thanks for the feedback. After we bought a ubox pro 2 from pchome for 4000nt I started reading your posts. It arrived today and we’re returning it. I’ll pay for aspirin, but I won’t pay for headaches. I’ve been down the bt road and that was a better experience even with the wireless mouse they threw in as a gift. You are right, searching is difficult and I have the impression it isn’t made for me or my Taiwanese wife as the users. Thanks again.