Ugly Truths About Working in Taiwan

It is, but the difference is more severe here right now.

Theres a range heres just some off the top of my head so you get the idea
3 are teachers Elementary/HS
1 College prof
2 in IT
1 computer science
1 Electrical Engineer
1 Psychologist
2 Military/Soldier
1 Police
3 Business owners
1 Dentist
2 Graphic Designers
1 social worker
1 Physical therapy
2 Product designers
1 Translator
1 lawyer

No 50c for you today, you called Taiwan a country, that is a big no no.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true. Itā€™s not a country. It is China. Thanks for the reminder

How much you want to bet on it?

I already posted a link.

I might be a little off now as many moved to other countries as Vietnam, India etc. but some years back over a million worked and lived in China.

It doesnā€™t matter though.

Sad as it is, China is winning, and Taiwan will likely become a SAR of China within our lifetimes. And itā€™s all because of money.

Taiwanese people around me are starting to say that Taiwan has no future. The birthrate is abysmal, the education system is getting worse thanks to monster/dinosaur parents and students and a feckless MOE, people are leaving for much better pay in China by the day, almost no young couples can actually afford to buy a house (or apartment) on their own in Taiwan anymore, wages are still stagnant, and as a democracy weā€™re not going to follow a Singaporean model, and as a Han country we wonā€™t follow a Japanese model either.

Now, Iā€™m not complaining, but itā€™s just the sad state of affairs. The KMT was right in a roundabout way that unification was inevitable. Not so much because of zhonghua minzhu stuff, but just simple economics.

3 Likes

Andā€¦into the Temp Forum we go

it is what it is. working here can be rough, its good to know what you are in for if you want to work here.

It never was a million. If you check the those news reports that claim ā€œa millionā€, their sources are according to estimation and allegedly. They never had any credible data as the number was made up in the first place.

Problem is that the cycle will just repat itself. China, as a dictatorship, will eventually explode, or rather implode, as it has always done -500- years of history, same 100 repeated over and over again. The regime will fall down, it will be a disaster, and they will need a ploace to flee to. If they do not mess Taiwan up, they may run away here.

Unification was never ā€œivenitableā€. It was a choice taken by a dictator. th eoption was on teh table but he spat on the UN and preferredā€¦ psychosis. The KMT was not right, they signed a deal with teh enemy to give the place up eventually, becasue that way, they feel they did not lose. Their loyalty is to the other side, as it has always been, even in teh States. And that is forever their curse, drifting, no roots, tangled with mafia and corruption and treachery, same as the warlord wars.

3 Likes

This is a very rosy view of reality, but as the kids say today, everything is ā€œvalidā€.

China wonā€™t implode anytime soon, in my estimation. It wonā€™t surpass the US, but it wonā€™t fall apart, unless its overreach gets out of control. Currently thereā€™s no sign of that happening. Investing in Africa to extract minerals, or building some artificial island bases in the South China Sea isnā€™t enough overreach to bring the empire down. China would have to start invading countries such as Japan and South Korea and incur embargoes and a real trade war.

Iā€™m not a fan of the KMT (or DPP for that matter) but money talks. Always has, always will. And sooner or later Chinaā€™s money is going to talk a Taiwanese president into the idea of floating a SAR status, and 51% of Taiwanese will vote ā€œYesā€ in a referendum.

Your speculation has about as much basis as those that say Chinaā€™s having a financial crisis.

And about birth rate and housing. Chinaā€™s birth rate is close to Taiwanā€™s level of low (and even lower in the richest provinces), and the property prices are significantly higher despite much lower average income.

Itā€™s pathetic one troll post attracts so many replies. Iā€™m done.

Countries donā€™t unite because of economy, or else letā€™s just all join US.

It might be money eventually but some kind of military confrontation seems very likely at some point.
The problem in Taiwan is we donā€™t have an economic or military card right now.

Meanwhile North Korea bastard state is visiting Singapore and meeting Chinese and American presidents !

But I would settle for our weak military if we could have an independent economic future. Doesnā€™t look too good right now.

Iā€™m more concerned with my kids future I donā€™t want to see them here work here for all reasons mentioned .

1 Like

Bilingual and dual passport - I have no worries in that department. Itā€™s going to be a loss for Taiwan that my daughter is highly unlikely to ever work here. Something they need to think about.

1 Like

Why is this in the temporary forum?
This is a permanent thing and will continue and actually itā€™s continuously getting worse.

Because OP is a troll. Iā€™d even argue that it should be closed NOW, not in 15 days.

1 Like

You say, a troll touched my heart?
Ouch!