UK citizen applying for PR

Hello,

I was wondering if any other UK citizens out there who have successfully applied for Permanent Residency (PR) or are in the process of applying.

I am a bit confused about the Clean Criminal Record Certificate bit. How do I apply for said document in the UK?

I contacted my local police office and got a form for “access to info held on police computers”–is this correct?

I notice that there is a big message on the front of the form saying that:
“UK police forces DO NOT issue documents variously described as “certificates of good conduct” or “Police clearance certificates”. Nor do they provide evidence of good character.”

I also contacted the BTCO, but they were a bit clueless–suggested contacting the “National Identification Centre” in London (part of the Metropolitan police)–but the information they provide is via the same “access to info held on police computers” form, so basically the same.

Anyway, is this the correct approach–to fill in the form I have been sent for info on police computers regarding myself? Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Have you considered contacting the ROC Representative Office in London? They should certainly know what sort of documentation is required.

Taipei Representative Office in the U.K.
50 Grosvenor Gardens
London SW1W OEB, England, United Kingdom

Tel: (44)73969152 Fax: (44)73969145

Perhaps your relatives in England can get in touch with them.

Thanks for that advice, Richard.

Yes, I did contact the TRO in London, via email and they were most unhelpful. All they could offer was two websites, one of which was ‘unavailable’ and the other offered absolutely no information whatsoever on PR.

I think perhaps a direct phone call from a relative in the UK might bring about better results, so will get Ma or Pa to do that for me.

I will let you know what I find out–just in case other UK citizens are interested. Or, if any other UK citizens find out anything, I hope they will post news of it here.