Uk citizen seeking work permit/visa advice

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice regarding obtaining a work permit and visa to teach in Taiwan. I am getting some conflicting information from people and potential employers. If anyone can help it would be highly appreciated. Preferably from a UK citizen who has recently completed the process but I am open to any advice if you can help.

1. I currently live in overseas. 1 employer said i need to be in my home country to complete this process and another said i dont. So om confused about this.

2. Criminal background check? I have a DBS check. One employer said this is sufficient, another said it has to be ACRO and someone told me disclosure scotland is ok. So im confused of whether i need to request a new one from ACRO or disclosure scotland or can i proceed with DBS. The TRO wont legalise a DBS. They do ACRO only.

3. Degree legalisation. One employer said my degree is from a well known university so they wont be bothered about this This doesnt sound right.

4. Just something Im curious about. Do i have to send all my documents to taiwan to apply for a work permit?

Many thanks in advance for any help provided

As far as I understand….

You can do it from anywhere that has a Taiwan rep office, but you’ll likely have to get a few documents stamped by various offices in the UK, so being abroad will slow things down.

Not sure about the work permit as I’ve never needed one, but both times I’ve submitted an ARC application they asked for ACRO so I’m guessing that’s the standard the Taiwan government looks for.

Check with the work permit people, but if there is a rule about having your degree legalized (I believe there is) then there won’t be exemptions for it being from a well known university.

Have you looked into the gold card? It gives you an open work permit, and the website tells you how to apply pretty clearly.