UK passport renewal while in Taiwan

This is my first visit to Taiwan. I am on a 90-day visa exemption (until 14th July). I would like to renew my UK passport while here, if possible, via the UK online renewal application process. I already have a photo with a code to upload. I have never renewed my passport from outside the UK before. I have the following 4 queries regarding the process. 1. Should this be enough time to process my renewal from here? 2. I am not sure what address I can use on my renewal application as I am staying temporarily in hotels. Could anyone advise about the address? 3. While I am without my old / current passport that has been sent for renewal, what do I need to do in situations where I might have to show my passport (e.g. for hotel check-ins, etc.) after I have sent my passport for renewal. Would a photocopy of my current passport suffice?
4. Would it, in fact, be best to return to the UK to do the renewal? My current passport expires in 10 months. I am hopefully planning on staying here longer and work here eventually. Thanks, in advance, for any answers. :pray:

Honestly, the simplest and least stressful solution would be to go back home and use the premium service. I believe you can arrange an appointment three weeks in advance (you can do that from Taiwan). After your interview, you can get your passport in two days as long as you’ve prepared everything properly. You can then return here.

1. From Taiwan, it could take 4 weeks or longer to get your passport.
  2. Your address needs to be the address your passport will be sent to.
  3. As a foreigner without an ARC, you can’t book into a hotel without a passport.
  4. You won’t get another 90 day extension on your visa without a new passport.
1 Like

If you want to do this from Taiwan, I think you’d be far better off getting a longer-term address for at least one to two months. Trying to do it while staying in different hotels is virtually guaranteed to cause some problems. Some places might accept a photocopy of your current passport, but it’s not something you’d want to risk IMO.

The application website should tell you the current amount of time typically required. I think mine took 3–4 weeks or thereabouts, but it was 2018 or something so too long ago to be relevant.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the advice. Agree, getting a rental for a couple of months would be the best way to go.

It took me 10 days in 2017 :grinning:, but I agree it’s not relevant: a lot has changed since then.