UK Taiwan marriage

Hi,
I’m from the UK (living in Taipei) and I’m currently expecting with my Taiwanese girlfriend. To get the rights and be the father on the birth certificate, I need to marry. It was all planned for the future but now timescale is much sooner.
What is the easiest way to do this? Some of the forums seem a bit outdated.
Is HK still an option?
Going home to get the CNI feels a waste of time.
Is there somewhere I don’t need this ?
Any recent experience to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

Some friends of mine recently got married in Hong Kong, and it sounded fairly straightforward. Just a case of sending some paperwork from here, and then going there to get married. No more than their passports needed. Took about 3 months in total I think.

This thread goes more in depth - https://tw.forumosa.com/t/step-by-step-guide-for-marriage-in-hong-kong/54472

1 Like

I heard Taiwan still won’t recognize that marriage without the CNI and the lawyer I spoke to in HK asked if I had it. Did they face these problems?

I did it at the Xindian HHR office with a letter of no trace in 2019, and I have one friend that managed to do it in the same office during COVID, around 2021 I think. I have also heard of people trying to use it and failing, so I guess it’s up to you on if you want to gamble on that. Hong Kong is probably the safer bet, but it’s an absolute joke that we’re forced into this situation.

1 Like

I asked my friend, and he said they had absolutely no issue getting married in Hong Kong without a CNI. They’re both foreigners though so they weren’t looking to get their marriage immediately recognised here, but he didn’t think it would be an issue. He suggested contacting the Hong Kong TECO directly to find out if they ask for any additional documents.

1 Like