Ukraine invaded by the Russians...again Dec-Feb 2022

Nor is China the sovereign ruler of Taiwan, yet somehow we understand certain things are going to set China off, no matter how unreasonable we all see it.

So should everybody just let Russia occupy a European country ? I donā€™t think soā€¦Even non NATO countries will be very concerned. European countries should help arm Ukraine to defend themselves and stop dealing with Russia as much as possible.
I donā€™t think there were any particular actions that ā€˜set Russia offā€™ they just see a chance to make a land grab.

1 Like

I think everyone is concerned, when Chinas Generals are mouthing off how China will attack as soon as the first US battle ship docks in Kaohsiung, we take it with a grain of salt, we also know to be mindful

The Economist had a good piece, if the goal is containing NATO in Ukraine, Russia has some difficult decisions to make.

For the paywall, copy the address, open a new window in incognito, from menu choose ā€œmore tools>developer toolsā€ then type Ctl+Shift+P and type ā€œJavaā€, disable the java script and paste the address. When you close the incognito window no change to other windows will happen.

I went to your link (havenā€™t read it all yet), and right off the bat I encountered this:

Article by Vladimir Putin ā€On the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainiansā€œ ā€¢ President of Russia

Thatā€™s really enough for meā€“I get your pointā€“but I may take a look at the rest.

Now, Iā€™m pretty much neutral about the above, but I expressed my suspicions about that kind of thing on this board back in August of 2012, based on a familiar tune Iā€™d heard on the radio some years before:

As is usual with my posts, nobody paid any attention :slight_smile: .

Anyway, my main reason for wanting to leave the situation alone has very little to do with any of the quoted matter above, with all respect to all parties. I would add that Iā€™m not a fan of irredentism- or revanchism-based aggression, nor am I a fan of dictators or dictatorships. My main reason for wanting to stay out of this mess is that generally, in a war, peopleā€“often a large number of peopleā€“are killed. I donā€™t want anyone to be killed over these matters. And I confess that, being a selfish American, I especially donā€™t want any Americans to be killed.

A little optional (very optional) reading:

Weinberger Doctrine - Wikipedia

Powell Doctrine - Wikipedia

1 Like

Agree very much with your comment, and emphasize 2 things again.

1. which you also aptly point out, that many people will die, and (my opinion) that MIC will just get rich again (Cheneyā€™s gang);
  2. if there is war in Ukraine, there will be consequences in Asia. I am not going to spell it out, but people in Taiwan need to know that any war in Ukraine between NATO and Russia for whatever reason is very very bad for Taiwan. Iā€™ll leave it at that.
2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure of this second point, but I donā€™t think it should be ignored in any contemplation of going to war with Russia.

1 Like

I just watched Bidens press conference, with regards the Russia and Ukraine situation, he seemed to be saying.

1. Minor incursions wonā€™t trigger the full response an outright invasion would.
  2. If Russia did do a full on invasion it would be one of the most significant events since WWII, that Russia has the capability to do it and the consequences would be sanctions which would hurt Russia in the mid and long term terribly. So, he argues itā€™s not in their interests to do it.
  3. No inclusion of Ukraine for a decade at least into NATO, the build up of NATO forces and military equipment seems to be both happening and something open to some negotiation.

Hereā€™s an interview from Fareed Zakaria with Dmitry Peskov, Putin aide and spokesperson for the Kremlin.

Ukraineā€™s membership taking at least a decade is not surprising since NATO is based on the consensus of 30 countries. Technically anyone is welcome to join provided all members agree.

1 Like

There has been plenty of coverage and speculation across all media channels that Putin and Xi are either collaborating or closely watching each otherā€™s actions.

I cannot believe he used the phraseā€ nuclear warā€ in one of his answers. Jeeeeesus

1 Like

Yeah, but do you know what else will be very very bad for Taiwan? Sitting back and allowing our allies to be dismembered chunk by chunk while we do nothing and tell them ā€œsorry we canā€™t help you, itā€™s for your own good.ā€

I would like for us to get out of NATO. I donā€™t want us to get involved in a third war in Europe. [1], [2], [3 (PDF document)]

AMEN

1 Like

Sounds very very bad for Taiwan. Oh well.

2 Likes

What if someone sees an opportunity while weā€™re busy with Russia? I think we might be pressing our luck to try a repeat of last centuryā€™s fighting-across-two-oceans routine.

Itā€™s not like our navy is going to be bogged down in Ukraine. Joint action of this kind by Russia and China is going to be an existential that has to be defended against at all costs. Throwing in the towel before it begins sounds like a scarier idea to meā€“and all of the possibilities here are scary more or less.

1 Like

Big mistake . . .

After the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Ukraine held about one third of the Soviet nuclear arsenal, the third largest in the world at the time, as well as significant means of its design and production. 130 UR-100N intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) with six warheads each, 46 RT-23 Molodets ICBMs with ten warheads apiece, as well as 33 heavy bombers, totaling approximately 1,700 warheads remained on Ukrainian territory. Formally, these weapons were controlled by the Commonwealth of Independent States. In 1994 Ukraine agreed to destroy the weapons, and to join the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT).

They turned out to be fairly corrupt. Maybe not?

As always, it is about making money. Do people actually believe those pulling the strings with NATO care about Ukrainians?
Looks like the conflict is to pull Germany away from Russia, to sell US LNG to Germany among other things.
Lots of arms sales as usual.
There is a bombardment from the mainstream media - mouthpiece of the elites (as seen in the last 2 years), with total bollox feeding the people.
There are people that think Putin plans to walk through London in jackboots.

Tucker Carlson has for about a month or so been asking ā€œwhy do we care so much about Ukraine?ā€ which seems a reasonable question but resulted in another round of ad hominem attacks on him from both sides of the political spectrum but both likely aligned with the endless war crowd.

He usually juxtaposes USā€™s border (which seemingly Biden/Harris donā€™t care about) with Ukraineā€™s sacred border which must not be breached for comic effect, but itā€™s a bit silly really.

Other than him I havenā€™t seen anyone ask, why exactly is the US playing a game of brinkmanship with Russia over Ukraine?