Ukraine Invaded by the Russians - March 2022

I herd a roomer that there lobbing for open boarders.

1 Like

One typo derails the thread huh?

LMAO Meanwhile, gypsies are stealing Russian tanks for scrap

2 Likes

This thread might could use an occasional derailing. But apologies if I offended.

There was a video on the YouTube channel posted above where some woman in a car threw a Molotov cocktail at an armored vehicle (and set fire to herself in the process).

I understand that it’s a desperate situation, but this kind of PSA does seem a bit…odd. (I wonder how many times civilians can throw Molotov cocktails at Russian armored vehicles before the soldiers inside just start shooting civilians approaching them a bit fast.)

What does PSA mean?

1 Like

There is also a Twitter account from someone else tracking yachts of Russian oligarchs.

1 Like

What if they can’t, would you be willing to back you country’s military involvement?

Public service announcement

1 Like

He also did this, too (Title: “Cossacks | Broken in Ukraine, parody”).
Comment from Vadim: "Лайк, если смотришь это видео когда уже Зеленский президент))) or “Like if you watch this video when Zelensky is already president)))”.
Another comment: “First you dance in stilettos, and after 5 years the elected president of the country. The boy went to success.”

This is who the West is backing against Putin.

1 Like

Yeah, I had to look that one up.

1 Like

Public service announcement - sorry, I thought it was well known. (I was referring to the tweeted image in the comment I responded to, if that wasn’t clear.)

1 Like

I get it now.

Zelenskyy - From comedian to president.

Putin - From president to clown.

7 Likes

[quote=“BiggusDickus, post:1949, topic:214479, full:true”]

I found that one after reading about Prostate-Specific Antigen, Philippine Statistics Authority, and Professional Sports Authenticator.

3 Likes

Nothing new.

300K?

It’s the simple argument of all other facts must be false because my fact is true.

1 Like

Maybe, but I meant that such sentiments were often heard during the last cold war.

Almost certainly not. You can skip to the bottom if you don’t want the TL version:

My father was on Guam with the Seabees during World War II (but he didn’t see combat). I was born, let’s see, 52 days after the Korean War armistice. My next-oldest brother joined the Army, in, I think, 1962. He tried to volunteer for Vietnam so he could get out of Germany, but at the time, they were only sending observers and the like, and he was only a PFC, so he wasn’t eligible. As he was about to get out in 1965, he was told that, because they were by that time sending regular combat troops, he was now eligible to go, provided that he reenlisted. He declined.

I grew up watching the Vietnam War on TV, and watching the growing antiwar sentiment. I went through a teenage wannabe hippie/leftist phase, remnants of which lingered awhile. My dad said the reason I opposed the war was that I was chicken. In a dumbass move, I joined the Marine Corps to “show him.” This was 1971, and Marine ground forces were being pulled out of Vietnam. So I wound up being a peacetime grunt. Some years later, in a moment of extremely poor decision-making, I joined the Navy, and eventually wound up on a guided missile destroyer, which did a little tour of the Persian Gulf.

I’ve gone through a few phases about our involvements in these various hoo-raws.

In our first Iraq involvement, I remember James Baker saying we were going to war in Iraq for jobs. Mass death for American jobs. That sounded really ridiculous. I was in a uni at the time, and I remember being in one of the school’s cafeterias when it was announced over the public-address system that the war had begun. No one stopped their conversing and eating. They just carried on as if nothing unusual was happening. Some time later, I was talking to some acquaintances, and one of them ended the conversation by saying something like, “Well, I’m gonna go home and watch the war on TV.” So it was just another TV event to him, I guess.

For the second Iraq thing, I actually suspected, and still suspect, that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction, but I didn’t care. I repeat, I didn’t care. I didn’t want us to go to war regardless of what Saddam had or didn’t have.

Anyway, to me, it almost seems as if the reasoning is, “We’ve got all these nice toys, we might as well use them.” The whole thing makes me wonder if maybe we’ll one day get around to using the really big toys.

TL;DR: Again, almost certainly not. I would almost certainly not be willing to back our country’s direct military involvement in this conflict.

4 Likes