Ukraine Invaded by the Russians - March 2022

3 Likes

Interesting reply :clap:

Bitcoin shot up yesterday as Russians tried to get their money out of Rubles anyway they could.

1 Like

iā€™m of a different opinion, i dont really have time to go through your personal reasoning at the moment but i respect its what you believe in, and will read it properly later.

Briefly, i take the opposite view, and iā€™m by no way a warmonger.
i believe that Nato asked the Ukraine to give up its nukes with the promise of protecting it from Russian invasion, now is not a time to go back on the promise, just because it will hurt back home. We are asking Ukrainians to give up their life for their freedom but are not willing to support them in the conflict after taking away their deterent.

4 Likes

Yeah, I dunno. Itā€™s a pretty common abbreviation. Iā€™ve seen it used here before as well. Sorry you werenā€™t aware of it, I guessā€¦what do you want me to say?

1 Like

We are supporting them with by now thousands of anti tank weapons, anti aircraft weapons etc
In my opinion if Nato puts troops on the ground or tried to implement a no fly zone then unless Putin is overthrown internally it goes nuclear fast.

1 Like

Iā€™m just messing around as well

1 Like

I think you have a valid point, but I also think we shouldnā€™t have made that promise.

I wasnā€™t trying to ridicule you. Iā€™m an old fart, so Iā€™m frequently having to look up you guysā€™ abbreviations, along with a lot of other new stuff.

But thatā€™s on me being an old fart, not on you guys. Apologies.

2 Likes

Oh I thought you were younger, sorry. Maybe thatā€™s why prostate-specific antigen is coming up earlier in your search resultsā€¦? :grin:

2 Likes

I think we should have brought them into Nato, then took away the nukes so the alternate protection was already in place. but the past is gone and we are here now, so i think we have to at least keep our word, i do think boots on the ground is the very last thing and would lead to a full WW, but i dont think it should be taken off the table.

1 Like

Thatā€™s certainly something to think about.

1 Like

If we could have world peace and just invite Russia to join Nato, would that new organization be called Naruto?

4 Likes

It was one of my first results. :slight_smile: And I do get disproportionate old-fart-related search results, to the point where Iā€™m starting to wonder if the Intarwebs can read minds.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s like Obamaā€™s vision of ā€œpeaceā€ in which joint military exercises were held with the regime in Beijing. I think itā€™s safe to say that itā€™s not helpful.

Guy

By the way, both Napoleon and Hitler decided to invade Russia in June. Has Putin demonstrated enough times that the best time to start a military campaign in Russia is February?

1 Like

I know, I keep seeing people typing Nato instead of NATO, and just thought I could poke fun as well.

2 Likes

Youā€™re wrong:

ā€™ The Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances refers to three identical political agreements signed at the [OSCE] conference in Budapest, Hungary on 5 December 1994 to provide security assurances by its signatories relating to the accession of Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT). The memorandum was originally signed by three nuclear powers: the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States. China and France gave somewhat weaker individual assurances in separate documents.

The memorandum included security assurances against threats or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, Belarus, and Kazakhstan. As a result of other agreements and the memorandum, between 1993 and 1996, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons.ā€™

OTAN?

But thereā€™s going to be a point sooner or later where we canā€™t be constrained by that in our actions, unless we want to keep giving way. Russia doesnā€™t seem to have been unduly concerned about it when deciding to take the incredibly destabilizing step of invading its neighbor.

You wouldnā€™t take boots off the table?
I thought truth was supposed to be the first casualty.
Turns out its table manners.

2 Likes