UN Security Council reform

Okay, so Kofi Annan puts forth two systems for reforming the UN Security Council, Version A and B.

Both versions would expand the council to 24 members, with 6 members each from Europe, the Americas, Africa, and the Asia / Pacific region. Neither proposal would give the veto to anybody other than the current 5 (US, UK, France, China, Russia).

Version A would add 6 new permanent members: Germany, Japan, Brazil, India, and two African countries to be named later.

Version B would add no new permanent members, but distinguish between some members who serve for 4 years and others who only serve for 2.

So, how did he do? Me, I’m amazed the little weasel managed to smuggle in the thing about having TWO permanent African members.

I am all for more permanent members to the security council? Why? Because I believe in UN reform and the UN as an organization? Hell no. It will be the beginning of the end. If you think running the UN today is inefficient, just think of what adding more members to the permanent security council can do. Hurray! On with such reforms! The sooner to meet its end!

Why not 2 permanent African members, that scheme would have 4 from Europe, 4 from Asia (I’m counting Russia twice), 2 from the Americas, why not 2 from Africa ?

Better yet, let’s have 13 from Africa. The more the merrier.

As the USA has shown, when it comes to the serious shit the UN is irrelevant.

All right, then. Which two?

South Africa is pretty much a lock. Democratic, symbol of anti-racism, economy pretty good by African standards. Has some influence over other African countries and is respected abroad, as long as people don’t look too closely at things like AIDS, baby-rape, and witchcraft hysteria.

Egypt stands a good chance, since otherwise there would be no Muslim countries on the council. Internationally it is mostly well-received (think Camp David), though other African countries think it is not quite African enough. The same goes for economics as for diplomacy. It is however run by a military junta, and if it ever became a democracy we could count on it to be anti-Israel anti-U.S…

Nigeria gets mentioned a lot mainly because of its large population (which may however be exaggerated), and not because it has accomplished much of anything other than giving its banks a bad name worldwide. (The “Nigerian Scam” is that country’s # 8 economic sector.)

Oddly, no one ever proposes that Congo be made a member despite its size, population, and the fact that it is typical of much of Africa. Its international relations mainly take the form of diamond smuggling and the presence of foreign mercenary armies on its soil. Cannibalism, ebola, and the French language have yet to be eradicated there.

Kenya or Tanzania have a good international visibility due to the tourism industry. Marginally democratic, no particular international impact since the 1960’s. Too bad they’re so much alike. Oh yeah–didn’t the human race originate here or something?

Libya has become a vanguard of human civilization through the “Green Revolution” of its leader, the misunderstood genius Col. Gaddhafi, who also magnanimously abandoned his secret nuclear projects last year. What’s not to like?

Ethiopia has good food, except when they’re starving, and Bob Marley apparently has some connection with the place (like the Richard Gere of pot-smokers). The Ark of the Covenant is kept squirreled away somewhere in Axum. Enjoyed good relations with Israel (under King Solomon) and the Prophet Muhammad (back when he was losing).

In order to encourage democracy, I suppose they could give the seat to the underground opposition in Algeria.

Finally, we come to the Canary Islands, a respected African superpower if ever there was one. :smiley:

Thing is, every other continent has at least two countries (not so far named) that would be better candidates in almost every way.

Europe: Italy, Turkey, Poland, Spain
North America: Canada, Mexico
South America: Argentina, Chile
Asia: South Korea, Indonesia
Australia and New Zealand: Australia and New Zealand

So in this light, I think one African member country is more than sufficient “affirmative action” for now.