Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Articles 1-5

Article 1.
• All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
第一條
人人生而自由,在尊嚴和權利上一律平等。他們賦有理性和良心,並應以兄弟關係的精神相對待。

Article 2.
• Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.
第二條
人人有資格享受本宣言所載的一切權利和自由,不分種族、膚色、性別、語言、宗教、政治或其他見解、國籍或社會出身、財產、出生或其他身分等任何區別。並且不得因一人所屬的國家或領土的政治的、行政的或者國際的地位之不同而有所區別,無論該領土是獨立領土、托管領土、非自治領土或者處於其他任何主權受限制的情況之下。

Article 3.
• Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.
第三條
人人有權享有生命、自由和人身安全。

Article 4.
• No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.
第四條
任何人不得使為奴隸或奴役;一切形式的奴隸制度和奴隸買賣,均應予以禁止。

Article 5.
• No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
第五條
任何人不得加以酷刑,或施以殘忍的、不人道的或侮辱性的待遇或刑罰。

How does Taiwan stack up? How well does Taiwan do?

That’s a UN document, isn’t it?

How’s Taiwan’s bid to become (again) a part of the UN going these days?

I’ve seen worse. I have had meals cooked for me by slaves. I’ve met women in China who were kidnapped, taken to remote areas, and sold to farmers who couldn’t otherwise get a wife. I’ve taught Christians who were tortured for their religious beliefs in Iran.

Of course, there was that thread a while ago where some forum member was talking about the cages full of teenage slaves in Snake Alley, not that many years ago either.

[quote=“ironlady”]That’s a UN document, isn’t it?

How’s Taiwan’s bid to become (again) a part of the UN going these days?[/quote]

yeah, from back in the days when the ROC was a member…

Taiwan was never a member, it was the ROC that was a member… and the UN reso did not refer to Taiwan, it referred to the Chiang Kaishek clique

[quote=“ludahai”]

Taiwan was never a member, it was the ROC that was a member… [/quote]

For all intents and purposes they are the same thing.

Is that related to the Dalai clique that China are so fond of mentioning? For all your hatred of the PRC, you sound pretty much alike.

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“ludahai”]

For all intents and purposes they are the same thing. [/quote]

You can imagine that they are the same, but anyone who understands history and even basic international law, it is clear that they are not.

Is that related to the Dalai clique that China are so fond of mentioning? For all your hatred of the PRC, you sound pretty much alike.[/quote]

Nah, ‘clique’ is just a word the Chinese like to use to demonize those who oppose their autocratic regime.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“cfimages”][quote=“ludahai”]

For all intents and purposes they are the same thing. [/quote]

You can imagine that they are the same, but anyone who understands history and even basic international law, it is clear that they are not.

[/quote]

Well, technically I guess Kinmen, Penghu, Matsu etc are part of the ROC but not on Taiwan, but it’s 99% the same. Unless there’s another ROC or Taiwan somewhere else in the world that no one knows about.

[quote=“cfimages”]

Well, technically I guess Kinmen (Jinmen), Penghu, Mazu etc are part of the ROC but not on Taiwan, but it’s 99% the same. Unless there’s another ROC or Taiwan somewhere else in the world that no one knows about.[/quote]

Republic of China was founded in 1912. Taiwan was not a part of it at the time. It was based in China. So, it is clear that the ROC and Taiwan are not one and the same.

Also, Penghu is considered part of Taiwan.

It’s now 2011, not 1912. What was true then isn’t necessarily true today. Today they are one and the same.

[quote=“ironlady”]That’s a UN document, isn’t it?

How’s Taiwan’s bid to become (again) a part of the UN going these days?[/quote]

It’s worthwhile noting that even though Taiwan is not represented at the UN in 2009 it ratified the two important UN covenants (the ICCPR and ICESCR). This means that all laws in Taiwan should be amended to be in accordance with the covenants which define how the principles of the Declaration of Human Rights should be put into practice.