Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club 2017 (Taipei/New Taipei)

Happy New Year everyone!

A new year means a new thread…but relatively the same information.

Saturday rides will be posted 2-3 days in advance.

There’s no club fee or level of fitness required. As long as you show up with a helmet on your head, you’re good to go.

If the ride that I have posted doesn’t suit you or have any questions and concerns, please feel free to leave a comment or PM me. I would be more than happy to help!

These are my very simple rules:

• Wear a helmet
  • Don’t be a jerk

Hope to see everyone out there soon!

New year. (Somewhat) New route.

Day: Saturday, January 7
Meet up time: 7:30AM
Meet up location: Roosevelt and Keelung Intersection Roundabout
Route: Wulai
Destination: Wulai Waterfall
Approximate Distance: 70-80km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 600-700m
Estimated total trip time: 4-6 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

• Route is subject to change on the day of the ride!
  • Please wear a helmet. You will be politely asked to leave and come back next time if you show up to the meet up not wearing one.
  • Please bring tire repair tools, cash/EasyCard, Photo ID/health insurance cards, mobile phones, food, and any medication you may need.
  • Please make sure you are equipped with at least rear lights for the climate could change at high altitudes!
  • Please ride at a safe following distance from cars and other motor vehicles on the road. We share the road, we don’t own it.
  • Please follow proper riding etiquette and use hand signals for everyone’s safety
  • The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.

I had a fellow cyclist come out to ride with us last week to Wulai. Whether your a long time lurker or just passing by, I’m very happy that these posts are helping us connect.

If you’re joining, please give me a PM so I don’t leave without you or if an update occurs, I know that I need to contact you.

Day: Saturday, January 14
Meet up time: 8AM
Weather check: 7AM
Meet up location: Dahu Park MRT Exit 2
Route: FGC --> Xi Wan Rd --> Xi Ding Rd
Destination: Xi Ding Rd.
Approximate Distance: 50-60km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1000-1200m
Estimated total trip time: 4-5 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

• Please wear a helmet. You will be politely asked to leave and come back next time if you show up to the meet up not wearing one.
  • Please bring tire repair tools, cash/EasyCard, Photo ID/health insurance cards, mobile phones, food, and any medication you may need.
  • Please make sure you are equipped with at least rear lights for the climate could change at high altitudes!
  • Please ride at a safe following distance from cars and other motor vehicles on the road. We share the road, we don’t own it.
  • Please follow proper riding etiquette and use hand signals for everyone’s safety
  • The “Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club” is not for profit and we are not sponsored by any entity or have any signed agreement or direct ties with this forum.

Supposed to be a chilly one this weekend. Bundle up!

Day: Saturday, January 21
Meet up location: Tian Mu Road McDonald’s
Route: Xing Yi Road --> Flower Clock --> Er Zi Ping Visitor Parking Lot --> Down Balaka --> Up Balaka --> Ping Den VIllage --> NPM 7-11
Destination: Er Zi Ping VIsitor Parking Lot
Approximate Distance: 60-70k
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1700-2000m
Estimated total trip time: 4-5 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

Let’s shed a little of that holiday weight or ride some to prepare to eat more!

Day: Sunday, January 29
Meet up time: 7:00AM
Meet up location: National Palace Museum 7-11
Route: FGC
Destination: FGC
Approximate Distance: 50-60KM
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 600-700m
Estimated total trip time: 3-4 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

Hi Ranlee,

I do think an outstanding way to learn Taiwan on the racing bike.
Now, I live in TianMu.

What is best to get to you On time? :slight_smile:

I have everything I need.

Br
Michel

Check your PMs Michel!

Time to train!

Day: Saturday, February 4
Meet up time: 7:00AM
Meet up location: Tai Bei High School (at the bottom of Yang De Blvd)
Route: Yang De Blvd --> Jin Shan 7-11 --> Feng Gui Cui --> Leng Shui Keng
Destination: Leng Shui Keng (LSK)
Approximate Distance: 70-90km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1800-2000m
Estimated total trip time: 5.5-7hrs

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

Hello.
Might be interested, what’s the level you ride?
Any indication?

Hi ericinformosa,

It sometimes depends on the route. We always wait for everyone at the top of the climbs.

If you’re new and aren’t familiar with the roads/route, I normally stick with you and make sure you know what’s going on and where we’re stopping next. If you’re new to Taipei the roads can sometimes get a little confusing.

One thing we do not do is meet up and zoom off to leave everyone in the dust. That’s just…not fun.

You’re more than welcome to come and see if our style of riding fits you! I normally update this thread halfway through the week with the weekend ride, so check back for updates!

Thx for the quick reply.
Yeah, familiar with most of roads in northern Taiwan, that’s not the problem :).
Like you say, perhaps the best just to try, and see if it ‘fits’, I will keep an eye on the thread from now on.
Coming from Tamsui btw.

Nice to see this up! Look forward to the rides

Danshui shouldn’t be a problem. We mostly meet up by the National Palace Museum 7-11. Probably a half hour commute for you, depending on what route you take and where you are in Danshui.

You can actually set the priority of this thread to send you a notification whenever updated, so you don’t miss it! Right above the “Suggested Topics”, under this post you should be able to set your preferences.

Or if you really don’t want to miss anything, you can go to your settings and check the box to receive e-mails for all notifications.

Looking forward to meeting you!

RIDE 1: Don’t let the cold front stop you from riding this weekend!

Day: Saturday, February 11
Meet up location: Rainbow Bridge (North Side/Neihu)
Route: Riverside --> Xi Wan Rd --> Da Hu MRT --> Bi Shan --> Zhi Shan Rd --> Jian Nan Road (https://www.strava.com/routes/5055175)
Destination: Wu Zhi Shan
Approximate Distance: 50-70km
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1200-1600m
Estimated total trip time: 3-4 hours

RIDE 2: Back to back rides this weekend. This one will allow you to sleep in…since you might need it.

Day: Sunday, February 12
Meet up time: 10:30AM
Meet up location: Taipei American School
Route: Xing Yi Road --> Flower Clock --> Datun Peak (conditions/weather pending) --> Jin Shan --> FGC
Destination: Datun Peak
Approximate Distance: 90-100KM
Approximate total Elevation Gain: 1800-2000m
Estimated total trip time: 5-6 hours

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE

1 Like

I might join. Why Sunday instead of Saturday?

FGC? Urban Dictionary: FGC

FGC = Feng Gui Cui = 風櫃嘴

I combined the two rides into one post.

I believe the meet-up point for the Sunday ride will be the American School :slight_smile:

I have no idea what you’re talking about :grin::grin::grin:

I think he means some school in Hsinchuang.