Unofficial Forumosan Riding Club (Taipei/New Taipei)

[quote=“scomargo”]I can’t see that image. How long of a route are you going on? Any hills? I sometimes ride in that area, so I could maybe meet up.
I am not trying to be difficult, but I don’t really want to get a LINE account. Facebook is enough of a vice for me as it is.[/quote]

No worries!

I’ll continue to post any rides here for those of you that do not have LINE. We have riders that ride every Saturday morning and some riders Sunday morning. Look out for my posts!

Not sure if I already said it, but although I would love to join that 7:00 AM ride, I can make it this Saturday so… enjoy the ride and I will join next time :slight_smile:

[quote=“scomargo”]I can’t see that image. How long of a route are you going on? Any hills? I sometimes ride in that area, so I could maybe meet up.
I am not trying to be difficult, but I don’t really want to get a LINE account. Facebook is enough of a vice for me as it is.[/quote]

Hi scomargo,

To answer your questions:

• Length: ~ 90 km
  • Hills: Yes, 2 --> FengGueiZuei & Balaka (north face of YMS)

Rough route description: From the museum, up FengGueiZuei, down through Wanli to Jinshan, around the coast (No. 2) , left on the 101, up and over Balaka (YMS) and down back to the museum.

Thank you for your reply.
Much respect to you: That’s one heck of a ride! I’d like to join, but I’m not sure if I can handle all that climbing in the hot sun. Perhaps the next time around.

[quote=“Jurriaan”]- Length: ~ 90 km

Rough route description: From the museum, up FengGueiZuei, down through Wanli to Jinshan, around the coast (No. 2) , left on the 101, up and over Balaka (YMS) and down back to the museum.[/quote]
:astonished: I hope newbies who signed up for this know what they’re getting themselves into. I thought you guys were planning to ride the riverside bike paths. Be sure to carry lots of water.

[quote=“Incubus”][quote=“Jurriaan”]- Length: ~ 90 km

Rough route description: From the museum, up FengGueiZuei, down through Wanli to Jinshan, around the coast (No. 2) , left on the 101, up and over Balaka (YMS) and down back to the museum.[/quote]
:astonished: I hope newbies who signed up for this know what they’re getting themselves into. I thought you guys were planning to ride the riverside bike paths. Be sure to carry lots of water.[/quote]

There are some 7/11’s where they can retreat to :smiley:

[quote=“Incubus”][quote=“Jurriaan”]- Length: ~ 90 km

:astonished: I hope newbies who signed up for this know what they’re getting themselves into. I thought you guys were planning to ride the riverside bike paths. Be sure to carry lots of water.[/quote]

The moderator of the group, yours truly, made the terrible mistake of marketing the group as riverside rides.

I’m sure one of these days, since I need a week or so to get used to my bike, I will arrange a ride along the river, for those of us that are too scared to ride with the pros. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you guys still not see the image?

Um, that’s about 6-7 hours riding for most normal people, with low enough gearing… Are you up to that yet? Seriously good luck in that case!

In case you’re feeling fresh as a daisy once you get to the top of Balaka, just pop up to the top of Datuenshan for a wee side branch.

That’s the sort of ride higher level roadies train on round here, but its a big effort even then. OK for guys who ride between 100 to 200 k a week but do not even think of attempting it in this heat unless you’ve already been riding hills for a few months. Plus its more than 2 hills, FGZ to Jinshan also features a couple of nasty bumps. On the plus side if it is too much for anyone you can ride on to Tamsui and jump on the MRT or even hit Baishawan. :sunglasses:

So how was the first ride?
More to follow? I would like to join coming rides.

What I heard was it was pretty rough, it was pretty warm on Saturday, but I think the trio enjoyed the outing nonetheless.

I’ll be arranging night Riverside rides from Songshan to Xindian/Shilin or rides for 15-20km this week. Everyone is more than welcome to join! More info as everyone figure outs when this typhoon will hit.

Slightly off topic here but it could be useful for some riders: I have a set of wheels, clipless pedals and cycling shoes for sale in the trading section! (sports and outdoor)

Too late! I could have been interested in the clipless pedals and shoes some time ago… before buying them in shops :smiley:

I will check those wheels though.

Too late! I could have been interested in the clipless pedals and shoes some time ago… before buying them in shops :smiley:

I will check those wheels though.[/quote]

I rode my bike for like 15 seconds last night and realized within seconds that if I were to head up mts, I’d need clip pedals and shoes

I rode my bike for like 15 seconds last night and realized within seconds that if I were to head up mts, I’d need clip pedals and shoes[/quote]
My recommendation is to get familiar with the physics of the bike before starting to use clipless pedals.

I rode my bike for like 15 seconds last night and realized within seconds that if I were to head up mts, I’d need clip pedals and shoes[/quote]
My recommendation is to get familiar with the physics of the bike before starting to use clipless pedals.[/quote]

Oh definitely, I won’t jump to conclusions after 15seconds, but I did notice how small the pedals are and how big my running shoes are on those pedals (and how easily they could slip off)

I know one day I will probably invest, but probably not for a few months or so.

Kind of related. If I were going to buy clipless again, I’d go for the mtb style ones. Shoes are better (more comfy, less slippery), and they are as good as the road ones. This preference is even stronger if the rides are in the city.

Rode last night and realized that, I underestimated my clip less pedals and running shoes.

New ride!

Day: Saturday, July 12, 2014
Start time: 8AM
Meet up place: 7-11 across from National Palace Museum (Gu Gong/故宮)
Contact Person: Jurriaan
Route: Leng Shui Keng
Difficulty: intermediate
Approximate Distance: 30-40km

Have to agree that the heat was a real killer. The climbs were really OK, but the stretch along the coast (absolutely no shade) was a bit too much and we got somewhat overheated. So actually the climb up Balaka was a relief with temperatures going down to the low thirties again. :wink: Don’t think that going around to Tamsui would have been better → More of the same heat and added traffic issues.
Conclusion is that we’re definitely going to do that ride again, but then maybe not under the same conditions.

Anyway. A nice overview of the proposed ride for coming Saturday, which strictly speaking consists of 2 climbs:

So, who’s up for it? :sunglasses: