Unofficial Forumosan Riding Club (Taipei/New Taipei)

Hello all

I know there is already a thread regarding a cycling club here in the forums, but it’s an old thread and I have been receiving several PM’s about getting together for rides on weekdays and weekends.

So I figured I’d take the initiative on creating an unofficial riding club and inviting everyone to send me your LINE ID’s so I can get a LINE chat room going.

I know group riding isn’t for everyone and some of you enjoy solo riding, but if you want to join to share your experiences, any hidden gems, or just talk cycling. Feel free to shoot me a PM with your LINE ID.

::EDIT::

Taken out the Riverside Park comment due to misunderstanding that this group will only be Riverside Park rides.

Can I get an admin in here to maybe pin this thread to the cycling forum thread list?

This group is solely for cycling enthusiasts of every skill, you can arrange rides, talk accessories, share hidden gems, etc.

If you do join, I do ask you to read the group info in the top left corner before engaging in the group. Do take notice that you’re viewing the group on the MOBILE LINE app. (the note option is not available on PC version)

Cheers!

[quote=“ranlee”]Hello all

I know there is already a thread regarding a cycling club here in the forums, but it’s an old thread and I have been receiving several PM’s about getting together for rides on weekdays and weekends.

So I figured I’d take the initiative on creating an unofficial riding club and inviting everyone to send me your LINE ID’s so I can get a LINE chat room going.

I know group riding isn’t for everyone and some of you enjoy solo riding, but if you want to join to share your experiences, any hidden gems, or just talk cycling. Feel free to shoot me a PM with your LINE ID.

I’m hoping by this weekend, we can get a group together for a Riverside Park ride.

Cheers![/quote]

I don’t use LINE (or a smartphone most of the time). Not sure how many people on here do…

[quote=“PaddyB”][quote=“ranlee”]Hello all

I’m hoping by this weekend, we can get a group together for a Riverside Park ride.

Cheers![/quote]

I don’t use LINE (or a smartphone most of the time). Not sure how many people on here do…[/quote]

Hats off to you my friend, for being able to survive without a smart phone. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Ever try downloading the PC version? Or maybe an e-mail chain?

Willing to try to cater to everyone’s needs. I just assumed that everyone used LINE. :discodance:

If the plan is to ride in the riverside my answer is NO. That’s what I ride with my gf only because she’s not capable of other routes. If somebody is keen for a ride in outer Taipei i will try to join :slight_smile:

It probably doesn’t help that the person starting the group is inexperience (me). I said I will start on Riverside rides, group not exclusively for riverside rides.

The group is not a dictatorship, it’s just a group for everyone to meet up and ride because I’m sure some of you are looking for riding buddies for one day rides or even multiple day rides down the east coast. I figured I’d help administrate and get everyone together in one place.

Just doing the foreigner cycling population here in Taipei a public service, since I didn’t see anyone make moves to actually create a club.

Pardon, I thought this thread was about an equestrian event, not about bicycles.

It probably doesn’t help that the person starting the group is inexperience (me). I said I will start on Riverside rides, group not exclusively for riverside rides.

The group is not a dictatorship, it’s just a group for everyone to meet up and ride because I’m sure some of you are looking for riding buddies for one day rides or even multiple day rides down the east coast. I figured I’d help administrate and get everyone together in one place.

Just doing the foreigner cycling population here in Taipei a public service, since I didn’t see anyone make moves to actually create a club.[/quote]

Hey, sorry if I sounded rude. I actually think that you had a good idea, and I would love to have some occasional rides with you guys. But what I said is true, I mean, that’s the type of ride I would do with my gf, which means that I will be doing it with her :slight_smile:

Just doing the foreigner cycling population here in Taipei a public service, since I didn’t see anyone make moves to actually create a club.[/quote]

Hey, sorry if I sounded rude. I actually think that you had a good idea, and I would love to have some occasional rides with you guys. But what I said is true, I mean, that’s the type of ride I would do with my gf, which means that I will be doing it with her :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks jesus80, I did get a somewhat rude feeling from your post, so I felt I had to defend myself but thanks for the apology and the support!

I’m getting more and more PM’s everyday, so I’m getting the vibe that people do want to share and/or meet up.

[quote=“ranlee”]
Thanks jesus80, I did get a somewhat rude feeling from your post, so I felt I had to defend myself but thanks for the apology and the support!

I’m getting more and more PM’s everyday, so I’m getting the vibe that people do want to share and/or meet up.[/quote]

Nah, it wasn’t my intention to sound rude, but sometimes I just do it :smiley:

As I said, I would love to join some ride, but not in the bikeway, which can be a little bit stressing btw. The one I enjoyed the most the is the one going to the south, ending up very close to Sanxia. Less people around, more peaceful, and nicer landscapes. May be you guys can take that way… as I said, the others are too crowded.

[quote=“jesus80”][quote=“ranlee”]

I’m getting more and more PM’s everyday, so I’m getting the vibe that people do want to share and/or meet up.[/quote]

Nah, it wasn’t my intention to sound rude, but sometimes I just do it :smiley:

As I said, I would love to join some ride, but not in the bikeway, which can be a little bit stressing btw. The one I enjoyed the most the is the one going to the south, ending up very close to Sanxia. Less people around, more peaceful, and nicer landscapes. May be you guys can take that way… as I said, the others are too crowded.[/quote]

I all of a sudden got enough people to start up a LINE group. You’re more than welcome to share your favorite Sanxia route with us in the LINE group, but feel free to share here too! Getting messages from lots of riders that are unfamiliar with routes around northern and southern Taipei. However, I’m very sure there’s a thread dedicating to mountain routes already. I’ll direct them there. :sunglasses:

Well, the bikeway I was talking about is the one that goes south along the river. You will pass by Baqiao and the colorful “bike bridge” that links Baqiao and Hsinchuang.

How can I join that Line group?

Ahaha, I’ve been living the good couch potato life back in the States so I hope I don’t collapse after a strenuous route. Otherwise, thanks for setting this “club” up for all of us!

[quote=“jesus80”]Well, the bikeway I was talking about is the one that goes south along the river. You will pass by Baqiao and the colorful “bike bridge” that links Baqiao and Xinzhuang.

How can I join that Line group?[/quote]

Shoot me a PM with your LINE ID —> I will add you as friend —> Add you into group.

Only way to add people to the group is if I’m LINE friends with you. So the only downfall of this club is, you’re forced to become friends with me. :bow: :bow: :sunglasses:

If some of you guys don’t have LINE (GET IT), if a majority of interested people prefer e-mail. We can always start up an e-mail chain, but I’m aiming towards the LINE group.

Thanks for the support. I hope not to disappoint everyone.

A little busy at the moment, but expect invites for the group (if you’ve sent me your LINE IDs) to go up soon! Check your LINEs!

Ranlee, sounds like a great idea, well done for getting it going.

Unfortunately I’m going to be based in Tainan for the foreseeable future, but I’ll join the LINE group anyway and if I’m in Taipei I will try and join you.

I’ll be back in Tainan in about 3 weeks and once I’ve sussed out some decent routes I’ll post when I’m heading out, and I’ll post the route too, so you can judge if its suitable for you. All welcome to join though, and I have plenty of experience leading club rides.

I generally ride upwards of 80 km depending on terrain, I can post some links to routes I used to ride out of Taipei if you want, but they’re pretty hilly.

[quote=“ShutUpLegs”]Ranlee, sounds like a great idea, well done for getting it going.

Unfortunately I’m going to be based in Tainan for the foreseeable future, but I’ll join the LINE group anyway and if I’m in Taipei I will try and join you.

I’ll be back in Tainan in about 3 weeks and once I’ve sussed out some decent routes I’ll post when I’m heading out, and I’ll post the route too, so you can judge if its suitable for you. All welcome to join though, and I have plenty of experience leading club rides.

I generally ride upwards of 80 km depending on terrain, I can post some links to routes I used to ride out of Taipei if you want, but they’re pretty hilly.[/quote]

You’re more than welcome to join, ShutUpLegs. It’s not exclusive at any level. I may not be able to use them for awhile, but I’m sure a lot of members will be more than happy to mooch off of your routes :sunglasses:

PM me your LINE!

PM’d
Here are some routes I used to ride out of Taipei mapped with RWGPS. I would say the elevation data is a overestimated a by about 25%.
Heading north:
ridewithgps.com/routes/1355535
Heading south east:
ridewithgps.com/routes/1371406
Enjoy!

[quote=“ShutUpLegs”]PM’d
Here are some routes I used to ride out of Taipei mapped with RWGPS. I would say the elevation data is a overestimated a by about 25%.
Heading north:
Heading south east:
Enjoy![/quote]

Thanks for sharing! I’ll try to relay the links to a note in the LINE group later on.

[quote=“ShutUpLegs”]PM’d
Heading north:
Heading south east:
Enjoy![/quote]

I would say the elevations are overestimated only by 5-10%, so they’re a bit higher than you think. but both really nice rides. Be careful of some of the steep drops around km 28.5 on map 406

If you guys haven’t joined the LINE group, there is a ride this Saturday morning! Info is below

Start time: 7AM
Meet up place: 7-11 across from National Palace Museum (Gu Gong/故宮)
Contact Person: Jurriaan
Route:

EDIT: updated picture link

I can’t see that image. How long of a route are you going on? Any hills? I sometimes ride in that area, so I could maybe meet up.
I am not trying to be difficult, but I don’t really want to get a LINE account. Facebook is enough of a vice for me as it is.