Unpaid leave - junior high school contract

Hi guys,

May I please find out from public school teachers how many unpaid leave they can take according to their contract? Is it 7 days per semester or 14 days per year / it doesn’t matter if it is 7 days or more per semester as long as the total number doesn’t exceed 14/.

Thanks a lot!

I guess you mean paid leave. The sample contract provided by tfetp says

Party B is entitled to seven days of personal leave or fourteen days of personal and sick leave combined per school year. Party B’s salary will be deducted by day for personal or sick leave in excess of such lengths. When taking person/sick leave or annual leave during a school term, Party B shall switch classes with domestic teachers or reschedule the cancelled classes or pay the substitute teaching fee to Party A or Party C. The amount of substitute teaching fees shall be the same as the extra pay for working extra hours in 4.1.2.

Thanks a lot for that.

I mean unpaid leave.
I would like to find out if your contract says anything about it like the allowance of unpaid leave one can take per semester/school year.

as far as there is a decent reason, like hospitalization or medial certificate that you should stay in bed, serious family matter etc, I think you can take the leave you need.

School can reject your leave request if the reason is not valid or you cannot provide a proof.

for local teachers, sick leave should be less than 1 year within two years. If they need more than 1 year of sick leave, they should leave.

I was wrong. It may be a month. The sample contract says

When Party B is under any one of the following circumstances, Party A or Party C may terminate forthwith the Contract:

1. Party B is prevented from teaching by serious illness or infection of a notifiable disease that cannot be cured within one month.

Article 7: In the event of matters which a worker must personally deal with, he shall be entitled to normal leave without pay not exceeding fourteen days in one year.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=N0030006

1 Like

different regulations are applied on teachers’ leave.

1 Like

Thanks a lot guys.
It looks like different schools have different regulations in regards to unpaid leave.

1 Like

unpaid leave includes personal leave and sick leave, and you are talking on personal leave, right?

it sounds only 14 days of unpaid personal leave are given in your contract, and no paid personal leave which is often given as in the sample contract.

My contract mentions about unpaid leave but it doesn’t say how many days per semester/year. I am trying to find out if it is 7days per semester or 14 days per year.
The link above with laws and regulations says that it should not exceed 14 days per year /point 7/.

if labor standard act is applied,
it is the minimum that employer cannot refuse when employee asks for a personal leave with reasonable reason.

when employee ask for more than 14 days of personal leave, employer can refuse. and without getting approval, it can be counted as absense and could be a reason to be fired.

unpaid sick leave can be more than 14 days.

if there is a reasonable reason and employer agrees, you can take unpaid personal leave as much as you need.

I teach at an elementary school and I get 7 days of paid personal leave and 14 days of paid sick leave a school year. If I go past my 7 days of personal and 14 days of sick leave then I can still take off, the time would just be unpaid. If I am absent 14 total days or more for that school year, so August 2022-July 2023, then I will start to lose some of my end of contract bonus.

It could be different for you. Check your contract or ask your director. Different cities can have different contracts or even programs with different contracts inside that city.