Unsupported Power Adapter Error, Asus phones among others...

What the freak is the deal a power supply is supposed to give a certain number of volts and a certain number of amps and be stable under a load.
That’s it! In basic electronics we are taught Volts, Current , cleanliness of the output. No, stray AC.
So, WTF is my asus phone telling me the I plugged an unsupported adapter. into the phone.
What makes an adapter a supported adapter. I’d like to know.

Fake cheap 山寨 (shan zhai) from China.

It may be a 1 amp charger whereas your original was a 2A and your phone was hoping for that. May be just a cheapo charger. Your phone will keep increasing demand on the charger until it gets the power input it wants whilst monitoring the voltage at input for degradation, if it drops below 5 it will reduce demand and tell you it’s not supported.

1 Like

I had the same issue with my HTC A9 but the warning came when connecting my phone to my PC for charging. This should not happen, as the PC has enough power to output to my phone.
Interestingly, when I changed the cable I was using, the warning disappeared.
AFAIK, the cable doesn’t limit the output power. My only guess is that the phone was expecting some signal in the other pins of the USB connector, something that a cable made for charging only wouldn’t be able to transmit.

1 Like

My original Asus charger is gone. But on other good chargers I sometime get a message saying that I have entered the quick charge mode and my phone may feel warmer to the touch but still normal.
Sadly, I’m always on the run or not wearing my glasses when this occurs or I forgot about it so I have not been able to explore those features.
Is there any data being traded between the adaptar and charger as Ricarte suggests. Honestly, I hope Assus would be beyond the “only use my adapter” idea.
Another question. In the mall stations where they offer to charge your phone for free, there is an HTC jack and Samsung Jack. As far as I thought, they both use Standard USB. Why the difference? Which one would I plug my Asus into.