Updated (2022-2023) views/opinion on Dewey Recruitment?

杜威海外教育股份有限公司
Dewey International Education Consultants Ltd.
Website [https://hr.esldewey.com/]
FB Page [Redirecting...]

I’ve been contacted by Gary Yan of Dewey. I read old posts about them from some members like @housecat. Some are good, and some are scary. Have they improved their treatment of applicants, or should I just stay clear away from this recruitment firm?

Are you a public school teacher?

I’ve had a zoom interview with Gary before. Seems like a nice/genuine guy, not very pushy

1 Like

When it comes to doing business/dealing with businesses here and dealing with money, don’t trust anyone because lying and cheating is often the name of the game. These people most probably work on commission and don’t really care what happens to you after they’ve gotten their money. Also, where are they going to stick you? Plenty of people get posted to schools in the middle of nowhere. That can be problematic at times. I noticed that on their website quite a few $$$ numbers are no longer “active”. How much are they getting for you? I work with a woman and every month the school sends her salary to some company, they take their share ($10,000 a month) and then the rest is passed on to her. She’s being screwed over royally. That same company tried to get me to work at the school just before Covid hit and offered me $650 an hour. I told them to go F&$@ themselves. Shortly afterwards the school contacted me directly and offered me considerably more per hour. There’s always something better out there.

No. I don’t have a job at the moment. I also don’t have the requirements to teach in a public school.

@Pendulum time is not on my side at the moment because I have no source of income right now. So I hope something better will come soon…

1 Like

Are you in Taiwan? Do you have a college degree? Are you from an English speaking country?

2 Likes

Well, certainly don’t show them your cards. Taking a teaching gig for anything less than 800/hr right now is just a very bad idea. If you give a recruiter the feeling they can screw you over, they absolutely will.

2 Likes

Totally agree. You gotta be street smart and ruthless. If you go for an interview, make sure they know that you have other interviews lined up. They’ll try and lowball you in all kinds of ways. Not offer health insurance or get you to pay for all of it (illegal), make you occasionally come in and work for no pay (illegal), want you to work in a kindergarten (illegal to teach English there), get you to work without the proper papers (illegal)…the list goes on and on. There’s isn’t a method out there that cram owners haven’t tried to scam teachers, parents, and the government out of money.

Yes, I’m in Taiwan. I have a master’s degree in the science field. English is an official language in my country (not from the usual countries where English teachers are sought here in Taiwan). I have four years of experience teaching biology to college students but almost zero teaching experience in English to younger students. I don’t have a teaching license or English certificate, but my TOEIC score was almost perfect.

@nz Because I lack English teaching credentials or experience, I would go as low as 500 an hour. 800 an hour is rare here in the south.

@Pendulum I actually applied for a kindergarten school that uses English to “teach” the kids. But more like art class and critical thinking activities. not really English lessons, I believe.

500? Ouch!

What work rights do you have? Do you require an employer sponsored ARC?

1 Like

Not having English teaching experience or credentials is not much an issue. Many teachers come here without them. I didn’t have them but do have a master’s and am from the US. What country are you from? Down south they seem a bit more flexible when it comes to hiring teachers. I teach in New Taipei City at a private high school and neither of my two foreign colleagues are from an English speaking country. Outside of major areas schools tend to be a bit more desperate and willing to overlook some things. I’d say an issue here is your willingness to accept 500 an hour. Cram school owners and managers are (for the most part) bottom feeders. If you give them an inch, they’ll take a mile. They’ll nickel and dime you for every thing. Go in with the attitude that you don’t need them because you have half a dozen other places you’re interviewing with.

Be very careful about any place that wants you to teach kindergarten. You can get kicked out of the country if they catch you teaching English there. Don’t trust any boss who tells you not to worry. Any Taiwanese boss or manager who says that is most likely bullshitting you.

What is your status in Taiwan right now? Student? Tourist?

1 Like

If you have a Bachelor’s degree and come from a country with English in their passport as official language, you can teach English in Taiwan. Legally.

1 Like

If you have an MSc and good Englishes think about thesis editing as a line of work.

Google Wallace Editing.

1 Like

You’d be crazy to accept $500ntd an hour no matter where you’re from or where you are. $800 is only rare because too many newcomers don’t know their worth. Everyone I know who’s been here 6+ months gets around $800+ from cram schools, $700+ for kindys. People less than 6 months probably don’t realise they’re getting ripped off yet.

If you don’t have an open work permit, don’t do kindy. You can be deported for breaching your work permit.
If you do have an open work permit it is still illegal (unless you somehow passed the government exam in Chinese and are not teaching English as a class) but you won’t get deported, just a slap on the wrist, maybe a fine.

Credentials aren’t needed to teach English here if you have an open work permit. The credentials you have are enough to get a job teaching at a cram school if you do need a work permit.
Public Schools have more stringent requirements.

If money is tight then I’d suggest taking one of those BS $500NT an hour jobs just to get the paper work done and jump ship the next week when you find something that pays better.

2 Likes

agree. if you are desperate, accept any avairable offer for your ARC. when you quit you can apply for the six month extension.

kinder cannot get a work permit to employ a foreigner, so your work permit is got by some other cram school. you teach in kinder with a work permit for other school is illegal.

1 Like

I never worked as a teacher in Taiwan, but I keep seeing wages of around 700NT/hr in the jobs posted in forumosa. Only shitty jobs get posted here or what?

They’re just trying to see what the lowest wage they can get away with is :sweat_smile:

@BiggusDickus yes, need employer-sponsored ARC

@Pendulum Got it. I’ll be more assertive and careful. I’m on a student ARC but will be taking a break from school so I have not earned a degree here yet.

@justintaiwan unfortunately, I don’t have an open work permit. once I don’t enroll this semester, my ARC will be canceled. The first cram school I was accepted into but did not push through only offered 400 for English :laughing: and 550 for Science :grimacing: So they’re really ripping me off there.

1 Like

If you continue your studies you should be allowed to work 20 hours a week.