Upgrading a Quannon/KTR engine to 6 gears

Hey all,

Does anyone know what parts to order to put a 6th gear into this engine?  I've looked online, and I'm hitting

a dead end. I’ve found one page, that shows a 6 gear configuration, but sadly, it won’t show what parts are
needed to make it happen. I know, you’re probably thinking “A 150 doesn’t need 6 gears?!?”. Then why am
I always looking for that 6th gear when I’m in 5th and my engine is running at 9,000+ RPM? If you do, or
know someone who does, then I’ll be making another post “Made my Quannon a 202 with 6 gears!!”, like
I did when I posted this Made my Grand Dink 250 to a 300 - Made my Grand Dink
250 to a 300.

I know, I should just get a red plate motorcycle.  I just can't bring myself to buy a 2nd hand motorcycle

that has probably just been short shifted it’s entire life. Besides, I get to rebuild another engine! I’m really
looking forward to that, so please help me out guys…

[quote=“johnledoe”]Hey all,
I know, I should just get a red plate motorcycle. I just can’t bring myself to buy a 2nd hand motorcycle
that has probably just been short shifted it’s entire life. Besides, I get to rebuild another engine! I’m really
looking forward to that, so please help me out guys…[/quote]
Yes, you should, and incidentally I’m selling my BMW F650GS Dakar, which has new tyres :smiley:

From your description, Its under geared. You can fix that by changing your rear cog or the cog on the output shaft from the gearbox. You don’t get an extra gear (difficult/impossible) just raise or lower all your existing gears. Common mod with farmer bikes which are geared for load carrying.

Ducked, ya I get what your saying. I’ve changed the drive gear, the one that’s connected to the transmission from 15 teeth to 17.
Changing the gear ratio in the transmission itself, that seems like a whole other hassle. Yes, I’m sure it can be done. If I’m
going to change my transmission, why not go balls deep, and go 6 gears?!? I’m thinking to look at some Honda transmission
parts, and having my drive gear machined to fit if needed.

Jesus80, that does sound tempting, but I just get this feeling owning anything BMW means the cost to fix it here in Taiwan
means it’s twice as expensive as anything Japanese. Besides, I’m not really flush with money to afford a bike like that…

[quote=“johnledoe”]Ducked, ya I get what your saying. I’ve changed the drive gear, the one that’s connected to the transmission from 15 teeth to 17.
Changing the gear ratio in the transmission itself, that seems like a whole other hassle. Yes, I’m sure it can be done. If I’m
going to change my transmission, why not go balls deep, and go 6 gears?!? I’m thinking to look at some Honda transmission
parts, and having my drive gear machined to fit if needed.[/quote]
If you are at the limit for enlarging the front sprocket, a smaller rear will raise the gearing further. Beyond that sounds like far too much hassle for the benefit. But of course it’s your bike time and money.

EDIT: It’s also perhaps worth pointing out that, even if you are completely successful, the 6-speeding mod, if acknowledged, is likely to render your bike less saleable. It’d certainly blow any remaining warranty (though I’d guess there isn’t any) and it’d deter a lot of potential purchasers.ENDEDIT