US Immigration for Girlfriend . . . Need Some Help Please

:help: Hi,
I have a girlfriend in Taiwan . . . . . . She is coming to the USA in September 2004 (and wants to stay) . . . . . Can anyone give me some help on what I can do to help her out to get things moving, VISA, GREENCARD, so on …
Thanks
Dale~

Get married.

Well, I think the immigration rules in the United States are much more strict than Taiwan. Strictly speaking, for example, in Taiwan, although there are different procedures for those with Chinese ancestry and those without Chinese ancestry . . . . . still, you have no formal categories of “immigrant” and “non immigrant” visas . . . . . .

Hence, there are no problems when you come in on a short term visa, and then get a job or something and then get a long term (resident) visa . . . . . . however in the USA this may be interpreted as “misrepresentation of original intent” or “misrepresentation of status” . . . . .

I am certainly no expert in USA immigration matters, however I have read enough on these boards (and other public forums) to know that if one wants to immigrate to the USA, the best way is to formally apply for an immigrant visa . . . . . and of course that involves a waiting time.

Otherwise, I would suggest that you talk to someone in the USA who has dealt with the legal side of these matters before, and knows the ropes (so to speak) . . . . . or find a low priced “immigration clinic” type lawyer group . . . . . . or something similar.

[quote=“DaleBlaze”]:help: Hi,
I have a girlfriend in Taiwan . . . . . . She is coming to the USA in September 2004 (and wants to stay) . . . . . Can anyone give me some help on what I can do to help her out to get things moving, VISA, GREENCARD, so on …
Thanks
Dale~[/quote]

How long does she want to stay?

If she wants to stay “permanently” then get married. You can do either the K1 fiancee visa or K3 spouse visa. Also, if you think there’s a possibility of matrimony, start documenting your relationship - save emails, pictures, correspondence, letters, love you notes whatever.

The danger (as Richard Hartzell pointed out) is if she comes on a tourist visa, overstays and then gets married (to you), she’ll be in a whole heap of trouble. The INS folks are really Nazi about this post 9/11.