🇺🇸 🛂 US Passport | Time for Expedited US Passport through AIT

The AIT website does give their time frames for how quickly the processing time is (8 weeks for normal, 6 weeks for expedited), but I wanted to know if anyone from personal experience can tell me how quickly they got their passport when expedited (under the condition of imminent travel)?

Delete

I laid out my timeline in a thread a few months ago. Iirc it was about 3 weeks. AIT reiterated many times with me that there is no “expedited” option, so just be aware. However they said they would process on their end as quickly as possible if I make a note of the need and reach out to them about it, which I did.

1 Like

Do you have a ticket to the US?

I was able to get my son’s in less than two weeks

I think having an actual ticket gets your application to classify as expedited/emergency?

2 Likes

Yes, we have tickets. I know there’s also an option for a limited passport (only 1 year) for emergency situations, is that the type you had applied for/received for your son? Or was it the full 5 year one? There was one year a family member of mine lost theirs, and they had applied for the limited passport and received it the next day, but I’m not necessarily needing it the next day of application, but definitely within the next two weeks (I would do it as soon as possible but since it’s my child’s first, I’m waiting on my spouse to return from a business trip since both parents need to show up).

I got the 5 year one. They were able to get it done expeditiously. I’m sure if you explained your situation and how you must go back then AIT will put your application in the top priority list.

1 Like

It’s less about how AIT prioritizes (which I agree, they are more than willing to do this) but how long it takes to arrive stateside, get processed, and returned. They told me they had no control over that. With that said, it was insanely quick. I think from the time AIT mailed out my app to the US to the time the US office had begun shipping back my passport it was like 5ish days! And then maybe another 3 or 4 days for it to arrive at my door.

1 Like