US Presidential Election 2004 VI

The SHRUB, from the 3d Debate:

[quote]He voted to increase taxes 98 times. . .

He voted to increase taxes 98 times . . .

You voted to increase taxes 98 times. . .[/quote]
cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/ … 9092.shtml

[quote]When the Annenberg Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania asked President Bush’s re-election committee for documentation and proof of its statement that Sen. John Kerry had voted more than 350 times to raise taxes, the evidence turned out to be badly flawed. That was back in March when President Bush and others were making the claim. At a rally in Florida on March 20, President Bush said, referring to Sen. Kerry, “Over the years, he’s voted over 350 times for higher taxes on the American people.”

Once the Annenberg’s Center factcheck.org analyzed the evidence and showed that the claim was bogus, the president and others in the administration quit using the figure. None of the votes would have resulted in a tax increase, factcheck.org said. “Perhaps the president should have said Kerry voted 350 times for ‘higher taxes than Republicans prefer,’” factcheck.org reported at the time.

When the Bush campaign started running an anti-Kerry ad on Aug. 23, the number of times the Massachusetts senator had voted to raise taxes had shrunk to 98. Again, the Annenberg Center asked for documentation, and again, the numbers are not factual and are virtually meaningless.

Of the 98 votes for “tax increases,” most were cast on budget measures that only set targets and don’t actually legislate tax increases. The other votes cast reveal that they are consistent with Kerry’s promise to raise taxes only on those making over $200,000 a year, the center said.

Many votes cited in the documentation were cast for a single piece of legislation. For example, Kerry voted six times in support of Sen. John McCain’s proposal to raise taxes on cigarettes by $1.10 a pack to deter youthful smoking. . .[/quote]
uswa.org/uswa/program/content/1540.php

Someone just emailed me that the thing on Bush’s back is probably one of those slug-like aliens from the Donald Sutherland movie “The Puppet Masters”, but I don’t believe it. However, I think the basic idea might not be entirely wrong.

Is this for real?

I find it difficult to believe this is real. But, if it is… it too is disgraceful.

[quote=“MaPoSquid”]Actually, the problem is mostly the Democraps:
billhobbs.com/hobbsonline/cat_voter_fraud.html

Not only do they commit far more outright vote fraud – through the “graveyard vote” and union-sponsored fraud – they also block all attempts to reform the system by requiring IDs. In fact, the “motor-voter” law that the Democraps forced through under Clinton specifically prohibited state DMVs from asking for any form of proof of citizenship.[/quote]

This thread is hilarious.

[quote]God, I hate that woman. I-- I-- I hate the way she licks stamps! [/quote]–Danny DeVito’s character, in the movie Ruthless People (1986)

Whatever variations you may come up with on the theme, some of you folks merely “hate the way [George W. Bush] licks stamps.”

I’m shocked. Simply shocked.

[quote]
Colo. Elections Chief Says AG Lax on Fraud

[b]Wed Oct 13,11:02 PM ET

By JON SARCHE, Associated Press Writer[/b]

DENVER - After a cascade of allegations about voter fraud, the state’s top election official accused Colorado’s attorney general Wednesday of not doing enough to prosecute potential ballot crimes.

Secretary of State Donetta Davidson said voters and candidates need reassurance that the election can be managed effectively and that more aggressive prosecution would serve as a deterrent to fraud.

Davidson confirmed this week that 6,000 felons are registered to vote statewide, even though they are barred from voting by state law. A woman told a Denver television she had registered 25 times and signed up several friends up to 40 times to help her boyfriend, who was being paid by a community group to register new voters.

Davidson, a Republican, said her office has sent hundreds of questionable voter registration forms to Democratic Attorney General Ken Salazar since April, but only one person has been charged.[/quote]

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … o_election

And this from the New York Times:

[quote]

How Would Jackson Pollock Cover This Campaign?

By DANIEL OKRENT

But before I turn over the podium, I do want you to know just how debased the level of discourse has become. When a reporter receives an e-mail message that says, “I hope your kid gets his head blown off in a Republican war,” a limit has been passed.

That’s what a coward named Steve Schwenk, from San Francisco, wrote to national political correspondent Adam Nagourney several days ago because Nagourney wrote something Schwenk considered (if such a person is capable of consideration) pro-Bush. Some women reporters regularly receive sexual insults and threats. As nasty as critics on the right can get (plenty nasty), the left seems to be winning the vileness derby this year. Maybe the bloggers who encourage their readers to send this sort of thing to The Times might want to ask them instead to say it in public. I don’t think they’d dare.[/quote]

nytimes.com/2004/10/10/weeki … anted=2&hp

xp+10K – to some extent, I agree. However, Bush’s inappropriately timed grimaces and his tendency to recycle canned phrases from his speeches hasn’t particularly endeared me.

In the wake of 9-11, it was Giuliani, Blair and others who spoke most eloquently about the pain and loss. Even Bush’s first speech was pretty good.

However, it was horrible to see Bush get on the phone in a staged-for-television telephone call to Giuliani and Gov. Pataki in which Bush simply repeated little phrases from his speech of the night before and got a smile each time he successfully rambled off another stock phrase from his speech. It didn’t come off as a real phone call at all – and especially tone deaf when I saw him tell Giuliani and Pataki that he wanted them to know that “Americans are angry, but it’s a quiet kind of anger”. Like as if New Yorkers, with pieces of paper and ash still floating down into New Jersey needed to hear stock phrases about Americans being quietly angry.

drudgereport.com/dnc66.htm
drudgereport.com/dnc.jpg

:slight_smile:

mofangongren,

Good post!

Republicans still have no credible explanation for why Bush was running about in the debates with a shoebox on his back.

Edwards’ explanation was the best on Leno – “I think it’s his battery.”

Oh my!!!:eek:

[quote]
Man charged in vote fraud says NAACP paid in crack

By Joyce Howard Price
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

An Ohio man charged with filing fictitious voter-registration forms says he was paid in crack by a woman affiliated with the NAACP National Voter Fund.
The Sheriff’s Office of Defiance County arrested and charged Chad Staton, 22, of Defiance, with false registration, a felony of the fifth degree.
The sheriff’s office said Mr. Staton was hired by a Toledo woman, who, it said, admitted paying Mr. Staton in crack but has not been charged. She said she was working for a local National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) official, who also has not been charged and could not be reached for comment. [/quote]

[b]continued at:[/b]

washingtontimes.com/national/200 … -2380r.htm
columbusdispatch.com/electio … B1-01.html

Former Sen. Robert Smith ([u]R[/u]-NH), writing in the Concord (NH) Monitor:

"…Both parties have a right to expect a fair election result even if it is not always a favorable one. [James] Tobin* also said, ‘It is disappointing, indeed, to see the opposition party (Democrats) manipulate the court system in a blatant attempt to influence the election.’

What a mind-numbing hypocritical answer that is! Who is trying to influence elections, Mr. Tobin? Please do not insult us further."

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

*–James Tobin was New England campaign chairman for the re-election of President Bush up until last Friday, when he was forced to resign; Tobin was the northeast political director for the Republican Senatorial Committee in 2002 and supervised 2 Republican organizers who pled guilty to illegal phone tampering; under US Attorney General John Ashcroft, the US Justice Department has delayed any further indictments in the phone tampering incident - perhaps including Tobin’s own - until after Nov. 2.

news.bostonherald.com/election/v … leid=49937

Pretty damned ironic given that the Shrub administration already failed to protect the US from the largest terrorist attack ever committed in the US and the 9/11 report held them accountable.

[quote] For the first time, the chairman of the independent commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks is saying publicly that 9/11 could have and should have been prevented, reports CBS News Correspondent Randall Pinkston.

“This is a very, very important part of history and we’ve got to tell it right,” said Thomas Kean. “As you read the report, you’re going to have a pretty clear idea what wasn’t done and what should have been done,” he said. “This was not something that had to happen.”

Appointed by the Bush administration, Kean, a former Republican governor of New Jersey, is now pointing fingers inside the administration and laying blame. “There are people that, if I was doing the job, would certainly not be in the position they were in at that time because they failed. They simply failed,” Kean said[/quote]
cbsnews.com/stories/2003/12/ … 9137.shtml

[quote]Citing multiple failures across the government to detect and prevent the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist plot, the bipartisan commission investigating the attacks today called for the appointment of a new high-level intelligence chief and the establishment of a national counterterrorism center to help overcome deep institutional failings and deal with the likelihood of another major terrorist assault. . .

“What we can say with confidence is that none of the measures adopted by the U.S. government from 1998 to 2001 disturbed or even delayed the progress of the al Qaeda plot. Across the government, there were failures of imagination, policy, capabilities and management.”[/quote]
washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar … Jul22.html

The Republicans cannot take responsibility for anything. That’s why Bush is going into this election with pretty much the same team that has led the United States into disaster after disaster over the past four years. At this point, the only way they think they can evade responsibility by lying at every possible opportunity in order to get elected to another 4 years.

ho hum. more voter registration weirdness from the dems in ohio:

enquirer.com/editions/2004/1 … aud20.html

Stop complaining you two, it’s called ‘consistency’.

You wouldn’t recognize consistency if it bit you on your ass… :laughing:

You wouldn’t recognize consistency if it bit you on your ass… :laughing:[/quote]

Uh-oh, you’re going to sic Marv Albert on us?

news.bostonherald.com/election/v … leid=49937

Pretty damned ironic given that the Shrub administration already failed to protect the US from the largest terrorist attack ever committed in the US and the 9/11 report held them accountable.
[/quote]

kerry, being the senator from massachusetts, was given a warning before the attacks that logan airport was a huge security risk. kerry bears more blame for failure to prevent the attacks than bush does.

villagevoice.com/issues/0437/mondo3.php

[quote]In fact, 9-11 is a minefield for the Kerry campaign. In May 2001, frustrated FAA anti terrorism officials tried to get the senator’s attention because of what they had discovered to be an alarming lack of security at Boston’s Logan Airport, from which two groups of hijackers boarded planes that hit the World Trade Center.

As a March 2004 New York Post story recounted, Brian Sullivan, an FAA special agent in the Boston area, told Kerry in a letter dated May 7, 2001, that security at Logan was lax and warned him to imagine “a coordinated attack which took down several domestic flights on the same day.” Sullivan’s letter cited a sting operation he had helped engineer with a local TV station showing that in nine out of 10 tries, a crew got knives and other weapons through security checkpoints.[/quote]

can i get a little righteous indignation kerry’s way, mt? :wink: