US Senators visit Taiwan with good news

Nice news for Taiwan, .Ladda Tammy Duckworth an Asian-American Senator(MP) visits Taiwan (With two more USA Senators) with good news.

8 Likes

Ben Blanchard at Reuters reports on this visit:

Guy

1 Like

From the above-linked report:

Blanchard writes:

Unusually, [the US Senators] arrived on a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III freighter, rather than a private jet as is generally the case for senior U.S. visitors.

When was the last time forumosans saw images of a US military aircraft on the ground here in Taiwan?

Guy

8 Likes

Awesome! But … I first heard 2 million - I must have read something wrong. Maybe it was 2mil “across Asia” instead of for Taiwan.

I saw from the photo that Senator Duckworth is in a wheelchair and that intrigued me. I just read about her on Wikipedia and wow, what a life she’s lead leading! (Thanks @afterspivak)

6 Likes

Leading!

Or led.

But hopefully not the metal “lead” (i.e. Pb)! :upside_down_face:

Guy

1 Like

I is more bad English teacher, I has made sentence gooder.

4 Likes

It happens to the best of us. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

Wow, I wonder why they needed a Globemaster? What are they hauling in?

1 Like

My first guess was they were hoping to bring the vaccines on the flight but weren’t able to for some reason; second guess was the signal it sends to China to arrive in a military jet (there is also a surprise Pacific submarine surge, and coincidentally no aircraft carrier in the Pacific).

Do you think there was more cargo than a few Senators and a message?

1 Like

Lot of reporters around.

I’m not sure what kind of cargo could have been unloaded out of sight under those circumstances in this short time frame, especially in a small airport like Songshan.

Guy

1 Like

I won’t speculate, was hoping it was vaccines but it doesn’t sound like that is coming yet. Definitely sends a message.

1 Like

Happens in the best of families. I guess it’s influenced by the fact that we have present tense read and past tense read. I see it a lot. I’ll probably write it that way eventually.

Yep, purple heart war hero who doesn’t take shit from anyone. Admire her quite a bit.

5 Likes

C-17 transport, eh? Maybe they smuggled some vaccines past China’s watchful eye.

I wonder if it’s gonna be Pfizer or Moderna :thinking:

Reporting so far indicates all (or in part) J&J vaccines—one shot, which would absolutely be helpful in speeding up vaccination rates.

Guy

4 Likes

Ah… I was hoping for Pfizer :disappointed:

J&J is better. Only need 1 shot. My older brother in NYC had it.

4 Likes

But I recall it’s not as protective as other 2 shot vaccines. Although there seems to be some studies supporting that 2 shots of J&J might be as effective as Pfizer and Moderna. I’m not sure about it though, I think I’ve read the news somewhere. It’d be nice if there’s any professional to answer this question.