US Senators visit Taiwan with good news

I think you might be overestimating just how meaningful the “Taiwan can help” thing was in terms of TW’s standing in the world.

There are plenty of reasons to support TW but that campaign isn’t anywhere near the top of the list.

The hubris in not pursuing vaccination that I was referring to is about the population being reluctant to take the AZ shot. I was not talking about the the development of a domestic vaccine.

2 Likes

I never made a comment on efficacy, but for the sake of argument I’ll suggest it was “very low”; compared to the counterproductive effort of elbowing to the front of the queue when other countries were suffering more, I’d say that is still a net gain.

1 Like

Personally, I think you’re overanalyzing the situation and trying to come up with some sort of rationale to justify why TW failed to secure an adequate supply of vaccine as soon as possible.

Nobody cares that much about TW and its vaccine procurement. If TW had been more aggressive in acquiring vaccine, it wouldn’t have been knocked for it. And nobody is praising it now for the supposed selflessness it exercised in being overconfident and not aggressively pursuing vaccine deals.

1 Like

Exactly.

MadamBroccoli expressed an understandable reluctance to get vaccinated when things look under control. We are all human. However, continuing to insist upon brand in face of the known widening breakdown is simply irresponsible.

There are politicians that will seek to profit off anything. I had hoped Taiwan would recognize the damage that politicalizing a pandemic response can cause.

1 Like

If that’s the case, you might be overanalyzing what I am doing…

Well, obviously not with that exact language. But have you noticed the thread topic?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/3-us-senators-to-visit-taiwan-discuss-relations/2021/06/05/d06a1b8a-c60c-11eb-89a4-b7ae22aa193e_story.html

3 Likes

So the US Senators visited TW to thank it for not aggressively buying vaccine? Your theory is all over the place.

Are you not aware that TW is a US wedge against Chinese dominance in Asia and the Indo-Pacific? TW could have donated 0 masks to the US and it wouldn’t have made a difference. So long as TW aligns itself with the US against China, the US will reward TW.

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

Yes, interesting choice of aeroplanes. Wonder if China will comment on it?

Nope. I just read the story.

says it all…
Taiwanese populace feel it by heart.

So the US and UK governments waited until they had vaccinations well in hand in their own countries before they distributed it to others- sounds like the evil Confucianism to me

2 Likes

It would be a better analogy if the Queen of the Commonwealth was in an at-risk group. Young people are the higher risk group with AZ.

If everyone took the 300000 vaccines at that time, would it have made a difference?

Secondly, since we lack reliable partners, we have a domestic vaccine that we have invested in and is ready to bear fruit a mere two months after the outbreak.

We don’t have reliable international partners. It could have easily gone south any other way. Taiwan did the least risky move and planted many different types of seeds. I support this. It’s disingenuous to suggest it was as easy to just simply order more. Similarly to the chip shortage, I’m sure Nvidia would love to order more chips. I think your argument makes it sound more simple than it actually is.

2 Likes

This is such BS. The allusion to BnT is a red herring. TW successfully ordered Moderna and AZ. There is also no reason it couldn’t have placed early, aggressive bets on J&J and Novavax, which are American companies.

It just didn’t plant enough of each.

1 Like

Actually Novavax would have been an interesting partner for TW.

Its vaccine is a protein subunit vaccine and TW’s companies bet on this type of vaccine because it’s what they have experience with apparently.

Novavax’s prospects in the US are questionable because it’s so far behind Pfizer/BnT, Moderna and J&J. So it’s being more aggressive abroad and just signed an MoU with SK to explore developing and manufacturing in SK.

This is a vaccine that’s already in Phase III and is expected to be submitted for approval in the US soon.

US shouldn’t be sending vaccines to Taiwan when I haven’t gotten my second dose.

My eighteen-year old niece in college got her second vaccine dose in the U.S. a few weeks ago?
Some states already down to 12-year olds.
Why is your concert ticket so late?

1 Like

It’s 12 and over for the entire country, and they are available at every Walgreens and CVS, among many other places. They’re more-or-less on every corner, for free on a walk up basis. Whatever reason one might have for not having received their second dose yet in the US, it’s not lack of available vaccines.

3 Likes

First and second dose spaced out an entire month.

Everyone knows that. My niece (18) got her second dose 3 weeks ago, which is spaced out over an entire month.
So, again, why did you happen to get your vaccine late? Was there zero supplies for your (clearly) higher age group in the U.S., or was this just your own personal decision to wait until after 18 year olds got theirs, and even some 12 year olds?

1 Like