US Senators visit Taiwan with good news

More exchange apparently happening this week:

1 Like

Any word on what quarantine hotel they will be staying in?

Hahaha. No.

Guy

The latest US congressional delegation has apparently left Taiwan—on a commercial flight operated by Emirates headed for Dubai.

No press conferences or discussion of their trip, which was kept quiet throughout. More details here:

Guy

But did they try stinky tofu while they were here? If you visit Taiwan, you have to try!

One can only hope that they did it for show and will forget Taiwan when they get home and tell everyone how great Thailand was.

Your guess about their diet is as good as mine.

But we do know they visited Hsinchu and the headquarters of TSMC, before meeting up with Hsinchu Mayor Lin at the Confucius Temple. Shoulda met up at the City God Temple instead to try Hsinchu’s mifun! :rofl: [1]

Guy

[1] I can’t stand the mifun there, but it evidently pulls in the punters from around the island.

If you ain’t into dong-fun, you ain’t sh8t.

1 Like

I don’t disagree. But in Hsinchu, for me, it’s the Hakka style broad rice noodles (bantiao) that really rock.

Guy

I’m not sure if this has been noted elsewhere. But it’s interesting to see that US Senator Tammy Duckworth is reportedly back in Taiwan. She’s been a source of welcomed support in the past—one hopes more good news will follow.

Guy

1 Like

What’s mifun?

Towel

Thin rice noodles, and a local specialty—one I am not especially fond of—in Hsinchu City. As noted above, I am a bantiau man, without hesitation. :slight_smile:

Guy

Any recommended shops?

Towel

For bantiau? Anywhere in Hsinchu County, especially of course in Hakka communities. There’s also a Hakka operated eatery close to Hsinchu Train Station which I frequent—I love those guys, there is nothing like this in the capital, but I would need to show you in person as it’s not easy to find.

If you’re asking about mifun, no I don’t have recommendations as I don’t think it is very good.

If however we are talking about babasu—another form of rice noodle—then yes I can get excited about that. Some terrific places around Taipei served by members of the Yunnan diaspora and their descendants here in Taiwan. :yum:

Guy