USA and gun control

That woman had a really bad day with lots of bad decisions.

Kind of short on details.

She got into a road-rage altercation with some motorcyclists.
They followed her to her house.
She went inside and got a gun, then came outside to threaten them with it.
One of them shot her.

Iā€™ve read, but of course we have only heard the survivorsā€™ side of the story, that she was the one who initiated the road rage incident as well.

Edit: Oh, and this article says it was a hit-and-run, not road rage, and that she intentionally hit the motorcyclist and fled, and they followed her.

Ah, good olā€™ Florida. Seems like both of them were standing their ground. And an armed society is a polite society, or something. :man_shrugging:

Thanks for restating the limited details in the article :slight_smile:

I think itā€™s safe to say people are getting comfortable defending themselves with guns against violent people who think they wonā€™t shoot.

Certainly wasnā€™t enough to stop their squabble, WTF?

He seemed to have that in the back of his mind all the timeā€¦This castle defense. Get into an argument with somebody in the area of your houseā€¦ they threaten youā€¦ bangā€¦Justifiable homicide ?
Couldnā€™t he have just called the police ?

Maybe they were defunded.

Not in Texas!

Texas is big country. I wonder if the woman is happy with her man upgrade.

The most difficult part for me was trying to understand who was related and married to who ā€¦:neutral_face:

A strange lack of give a fuck and freaking out by all involved.

Gun laws in the US mostly just hassle the law abiding, they do very little to stop those who have ill intent.

And unfortunately the US government has proven it cannot be trusted to be the only one with guns.

Yes, my state (Mass) is the same way. You can walk into a store and buy any of like 100 handguns but canā€™t buy certain ones like newer Glocks.

You can buy an M1, SCAR-17 or Barrett .50 sniper rifle but not an AR-15.

I guess itā€™ll deter a mass murderer whoā€™s really picky.

1 Like

Little known fact, licensed gun owners in the US have the lowest crime rate of any group, lower than that of cops.

2 Likes

Yep, universal licensing requirements would probably lower gun crimes. I suspect thatā€™s not what youā€™re advocating.

1 Like

As a nonAmerican, I read that as akin to bragging about being the tallest midget. I am sorry, there is some serious trouble in your fine nation. I hope you folks can do better.

Guy

It also doesnā€™t make sense.

If gun ownership is a right, then itā€™s a right. That means you canā€™t go putting people in prison for having a bullet because of some record.

If it shouldnā€™t be a right, then you require a license. Then thereā€™s no putting people for having a bullet because license holders would be required to not be so careless as to leave guns and ammo in the care of unlicensed individual.

If you read up on the history of gun control youā€™ll find it was initially designed to prevent minorities (as in brown people) from arming up.

1 Like

Well, the worst gun crime is in the places with the most strict licensing, so no, it wouldnā€™t. The vast majority of US gun crime is in the worst neighborhoods where the law abiding canā€™t get guns and the criminals donā€™t give a damn about gun laws. There is a strong correlation between allowing concealed carry and reduction in crime thatā€™s been proven over and over in US states that started it. Criminals prefer their victims unarmed. Most mass shootings take place in gun free zones, for obvious reasons.

The simple fact is that the mass murderer will find a way to get his gun - look at the Norway shooter, he went to extraordinary lengths to get his weapons.

Mandatory safety training (like some states have) would certainly cut down on accidental shootings. Unfortunately gun owners donā€™t trust the gun control side (and rightly so) so they oppose any legislation, even good ones.

2 Likes